Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What kind of bee is this? I thought it was a yellow jacket but when I compared the pictures, they look totally different. Can anyone help? They're building three hives outside my living room window right by my front door.

*EDIT* Just found two more starter hives outside the window of the girls' playroom. :/ The wasps were all huddled on them.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Replies (21-24):
LoveyDucky
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Oh man we need to get some of that then! Lol

Quoting RADmomma:

The stuff we have kills them on contact.

We live in the Maine woods. Bugs are everywhere.., and gross.

Quoting LoveyDucky:

If she sprays the wasps themselves they will attack. Maybe from 30 ft is she drenches them before they have a chance but its risky.... And she has a larger one that's already populating on the other side... Spray will keep them away but idk about how to kill the current ones.

Quoting RADmomma:

Get wasp spray. It shots 30ft. Spray that at the hive when the wasps are coming out. Then when you're sure there's no more knock it down.

We have 3 mud wasp nests in my eves... Hubby is going to get them down this weekend!!
RADmomma
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I still "let" hubby do it!!

Quoting LoveyDucky:

Oh man we need to get some of that then! Lol

Quoting RADmomma:

The stuff we have kills them on contact.

We live in the Maine woods. Bugs are everywhere.., and gross.

Quoting LoveyDucky:

If she sprays the wasps themselves they will attack. Maybe from 30 ft is she drenches them before they have a chance but its risky.... And she has a larger one that's already populating on the other side... Spray will keep them away but idk about how to kill the current ones.

Quoting RADmomma:

Get wasp spray. It shots 30ft. Spray that at the hive when the wasps are coming out. Then when you're sure there's no more knock it down.

We have 3 mud wasp nests in my eves... Hubby is going to get them down this weekend!!
Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We have them (wasps) build under our eves every year, and as soon as we can we knock down the nests. There are often wasps flying around even so, but it has been years since any of us has been stung. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Easier said than done. I swear I turn into the karate kid when a bug is near me. Lmao!

Quoting Bmat:

When there are nests around, just be vigilant and avoid making rapid moves when one is near. Also I wouldn't eat fruit outside, this draws them.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

See, these have way more yellow than the one at my house. I'm terrified of these things now.

Quoting Bmat:

I'd say yellow jacket, since the wasps around here anyway are brown.

yellow jacket

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Bump for edit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN