Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am Canadian and we tend to love our hockey! I notice that hockey does not seem that popular in the US as football and basketball. I cheer for Toronto even though they tend not to do that well!!

Do you or your SO like to watch hockey and if so what team do you cheer for?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM

lol I was going to say.. seats here in buffalo aren't that empty!!! lol. 

Quoting huneebadger:

You're right it was Dallas and Tampa that had the empty seats!

Quoting happymama2D:

It's mostly the southern states that have all the empty seats. They don't grow up playing hockey and I think a lot of the fan base is relocated Northerners. The Northeast teams, Detroit and Minnesota are more hockey cities.

Quoting huneebadger:

I find it funny as our games are always packed and I have had family go to NHL games in the US and they say the stands are empty. Also on the US news sites you rarely see hockey updates on the front page like you would on Canadian sites.

Quoting happymama2D:

We love hockey! I live in an area that is really into hockey and my boys play, but you are correct that most of the US isn't really, which is their loss because hockey is the best! I do love football too.
We are Sabres fans here!

huneebadger
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM

That's too bad, that would have been exciting to watch!

Quoting shoot4thestars:

Hockey is the main sport in this house and then football.  We love Penguins and Steelers!  I don't really watch games on the tv though, I get bored and space out.  There's a local hockey team called the Tomahawks that plays though and we go see them play sometimes.  We were so mad when they finally signed contracts because that Saturday Penguins were supposed to play against our local team here in town and they had to cancel it!

makingbruggers
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I LOVE hockey! We live in Rochester, NY so we follow our local AHL team the Rochester Americans. I am a Bruins fan through and through, and my hubs is a die hard Anaheim Ducks fan. Nice to see that there are other hockey fans out there! :]

makingbruggers
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay WNY! Represent!! :]

Quoting jessi2girls:

I'm from western NY.. hockey is pretty huge here!!! (even if our team did totally suck this year :(  sorry buffalo sabres!!!)

I guess it's because we are so close to canada lol

slayerslegacy
by Shakespeare on May. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on where you are. We're Flyers fans, and Philadelphia is a big hockey city. Philadelphia is big on sports, period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We are bruins fans here! My SO grew up playing hockey. It's his fave sport!! Boston fans are just sports crazy I general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

neither me  or dh are into sports.. but hockey would be the least annoying for me to watch LOL im in ny so id cheer for Islanders  i guess..

Sarahb21
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Hockey is the only sport we watch really. No football or baseball, which are typically the big ones in the US. GO WILD!

mnkymommy08
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm from MA and we're all Bruins fans here. Sorry you got swept.
Rosesandlilys
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Go bruins!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)