Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Trying to get pregnant, when should I test? Also new here

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this
Hi Ladies, My name in Tina, and I'm a proud step mama to one 4yr old little girl (Madison) and trying to get pregnant with my first. In the past, I've been pregnant and have had a few miscarriages (wasn't trying to get pregnant those times and did not have proper prenatal care before getting pregnant). However, this time I do have proper prenatal care and have been taking vitamins for approx 2 months. I've been eating very healthy and doing mild exercising to stay somewhat fit (not exactly the next top model here, got some cushion LOL). Anyways, that was my mild introduction of who I am and this group was recommended when I signed up. So I know a little bit about trying to conceive such as using OPK's and cycle days. I bought this silly 20 pack of answer brand and it says to use them within the first 30 days of opening them, so now I'm addicted to peeing on a stick every morning (answer brand). Of coarse they are all negative and I'm only on my 3rd cycle day, so that is to be expected. But I'm not going to miss my chance. The question that boils down to is after I get a positive OPK test, how many cycle days do I wait before taking a pregnancy test? I know, all that history just to ask that question but I wanted to make sure I had all my duckies in a row so I didn't leave anyone hanging with questions. So if you could get back to me on this, I'd appreciate it.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

hi & welcome!!!! congrats on trying to conceive " TTC"  i used the OPKS too for both my  pregnnacies & i got preg fast.. but everyone is different.. im very regular.. are you regular? even if you are you dont know for sure how long after you ovulated  you will be due for sure .. usually its 14 days after.. some woman have longer phases or shorter ones though.. i was able to get a faint  positive test before my af was due.. both times. but  MANY cant. thats very common..  it gets addicting & expensive lol id day count 14 days when your due then wait & see if af comes.. wait a day or so once your late a day or so TEST with FMU  and see.. if  negative  and no af test the next day again fmu... GL & welcome!

also check out the TTC , trying to conceive group..  you'll find lots of help there as well

Ttucker1981
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Yes I'm very regular. I have 26 day cycles, typically ovulate around day 10-11. So I got my period on May 7th and I will most likely ovulate on the 18th ish and if not pregnant, would have my period on June 1st. I really should just enjoy the practice instead of all this charting LOL

carolina_gal
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Have you been to the TTC group?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/30079

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Hi Welcome to CafeMom! Good luck with TTC!

baby dust

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on May. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Welcome, Tina! I think you'll find advice and support on the Trying to Conceive group, too:

Quoting Ttucker1981:

Hi Ladies, My name in Tina, and I'm a proud step mama to one 4yr old little girl (Madison) and trying to get pregnant with my first. In the past, I've been pregnant and have had a few miscarriages (wasn't trying to get pregnant those times and did not have proper prenatal care before getting pregnant). However, this time I do have proper prenatal care and have been taking vitamins for approx 2 months. I've been eating very healthy and doing mild exercising to stay somewhat fit (not exactly the next top model here, got some cushion LOL). Anyways, that was my mild introduction of who I am and this group was recommended when I signed up. So I know a little bit about trying to conceive such as using OPK's and cycle days. I bought this silly 20 pack of answer brand and it says to use them within the first 30 days of opening them, so now I'm addicted to peeing on a stick every morning (answer brand). Of coarse they are all negative and I'm only on my 3rd cycle day, so that is to be expected. But I'm not going to miss my chance. The question that boils down to is after I get a positive OPK test, how many cycle days do I wait before taking a pregnancy test? I know, all that history just to ask that question but I wanted to make sure I had all my duckies in a row so I didn't leave anyone hanging with questions. So if you could get back to me on this, I'd appreciate it.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Hi and welcome!!! My best advice is to practice, practice, practice. He he he. Good luck!!
Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hi, Tina! Welcome! Good luck!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Welcome to Cafemom,
Good luck with your TTC :)

Ttucker1981
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

thanks ladies. I found the ttc group and they are very helpful. Thank you for the suggestion :)

NDADanceMom
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
If you are taking your prenatals I'd wait till your period was due to test. I get that its hard to wait but there really is no rush. It's more accurate if you wait longer
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)