Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do these people keep their jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
diaperstodating
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Bump
Uhura
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Yeah, it's not being in a rural area. I live in a very rural area, people get things done quickly.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

TattedReader
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM
well I don't know about all that as my DH is the one who likes all the drama of making those calls (I think he likes to hear himself talk) but the chic in the picture for the feature looks like she's constipated with hand arthritis...
Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:02 AM

IDK, I would take a look in the mirror. That can't all be a coincidence.

jhslove
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I often wonder the same thing. If the economy is so bad and jobs are so hard to come by, you'd think that there would be lines of qualified people, waiting in the wings to work hard and do the job well. Why would an employer put up with (and continue to pay) someone who is lazy, incompetent or both?

I'm a hard worker in general, partly because I was raised that way and partly because I love my job, but I've been extra-conscientious the last couple of years because I KNOW how bad the economy is and I KNOW that if I lost this job, a similar one with the same flexibility, great work environment and fair pay would be hard to come by. I'm not about to do anything to jeapordize it.

winterglow
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I live in a rural area and really have no problem with tradespeople. I can even get a plumber to come out on a Sunday! There's no problem with septic tanks either, other than the appointments are never as soon as I'd wish, because so many people have septic tanks around here that business is thriving.

Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM
I feel ya, we live out away from town. It takes forever to get people out here. The only thing that gets done fast is anything to do with our well and that's because he lives down the street and is a good honst guy. I hate to see the day he goes out of business. I do all the work on our vehicles. I am lucky we have friends near by that can put my car or dh's truck on a trailer if it breaks down to get it to the house. When we had to have our well dug it took 70 day and 3 holes in the ground. It sucks sometimes.
corrinacs
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I am with you, they are laxy morons.  Well, I can assure you, whatever you do.....DO NOT MOVE TO THE DC AREA!  Its filled with a whole pile of lazy morons; and this is apart from the US Govt :/.

We can't get our car fixed without some moron screwing it up.  We can barely talk to someone anywhere with just about anything.  I know how that feels!

cjsmom1
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

That would bug me. I believe if you say you're going to do something then you need to do it, whether it's business or personal.

UpSheRises
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I don't have problems like that getting things done.

I'll guess it's because people have to drive so far to get to you. That realy blows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN