Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do these people keep their jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
LetoLiebe
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Where you live should not account for constantly poor service. People usually take distance and time into consideration while setting up expectations on service. I mean you know that service will possibly be slower if you live in an isolated town in Alaska or faster if you reside in Mnahattan or LA.

If doing things "differently" means being very lazy and slow then what good is that? I agree with you. There's demographically challenged and then there is just plain lazy and careless.

If you offer a service deliver that service in a way that is as helpful and encouraging as possible to the costumers, no mater where you live.

I agree with you, I don't have much patience for that crap either and I've run in to it in all kinds of locations, as well as great service. It depends on the person more that anything else.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

It's just laziness.

MunchiesMom324
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I live out in the middle of nowhere.  Having my septic pumped wasn't an issue, as I used someone recommended to me that lives nearby as well.  I actually would up saving a TON of money using them. 

I do understand, though.  I had AT&T come out and rebury a line - of course they sent independent contractors.  No biggie, but these people BROKE my gate off of my fence. I was trying to tell them it doesn't swing open, but lifts up and can be removed (no hinges) so they could drive the truck into the back yard.  The man snapped at me that he "knew how to do his job" and proceeded to try to swing the gate open, which busted the gate and the fence all to hell.  Do you think ANYONE did anything about it?  Nope.  I wound up having to rebuild the gate and replace parts.  Grrr.

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

tell your husband he is not correct this is prevalent across the board.  

Jadegirl1819
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

If you are in a rural area then they know that you are stuck with limited options so they can do whatever.  It sucks.

alliesaurus
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I  totally know how you feel. We just moved to our rural town last summer and im finding it VERY difficult to get a hold of and work with some of these people here too. As a business owner myself I have wondered the same thing: how do any of these places stay in business with service like this???!!!!

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

no, that's not the case at all.. I live in the country.. our septic guy comes out, on time when we need him.. he will even snake the drain out if it's clogged etc! he truly goes above and beyond what's needed and can typically be there that day or the next day at the latest.. 

Our insurance provicder.. well that all depends on the type of insurance you have... I now have NYCM and haven't had any issues with them!   I hated dealing with State Farm.. my agent is a friend of the family so I've never had issues with dealing with her. either.

Contractors.. again, it's a small town, everyone knows everyone.. so if you don't call back.. or are shitty at your job... you don't have a business for very long around here then. 

So have to say.. I highly doubt it has anything to do with living in a rural area!!! 

bad_mama2011
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Sounds like that contractor doesn't need your business if he doesn't have time to return your call.

enlightened_24
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I find that work ethic everywhere is almost nonexistent. We have a girl in the office that works 4 hours a day. She comes in, eats lunch, checks her email, chats with co-workers, and barely accomplishes anything. She has filing to do from January (and unfortunately, she is not a millennial and should know better). I have worked with girls who play online all day at the expense of a companys productivity. I have been told by managers that nobody in the corporate world cares about the worker bees and therefore I should not go out of my way to follow every rule as it only makes me look like a snob. I have also been told to lower my standards and to stop expecting so much from people :(

ms-superwoman
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I don't think that I have ever had bad costumer service. Not to that extent anyway.

Come join us!

Butt 'N Gut

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)