Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do these people keep their jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I live in a more rural area and I've never dealt with this issue.

Megan11587
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I'm in a rural area and in the past month I needed a tree removed from my yard and a refrigerator repair man.  The quote to the tree came in that day and the tree was gone the next. I got in touch with the repairman around 4:00pm and he was at my house by 730pm the same day

sucker4myloves
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I agree with you, not your husband. When I lived in a rural area, the appointments might take longer to get to, but they were there the day and time they said. Not every time of course because things do happen, but MOST of the time. I just started a new CSR job and am in training right now (it's a 9 week training class), and the amount of lazy and stupid you have to deal with from both consumers and customer service reps is insane. I think that's just the world we live in now.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I hear you!  Since January I've had two people from Lowes come out to measure my property for a new fence and neither has called me with the quote.  I've called Lowes and I've gone into Lowe's to inquire about the quote and they tell me the estimator has to call.  This is potentially $24k in fencing - and we are eager to get this done - so its not like I'm wasting their time.

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, I'm still trying to figure out how Barack Obama keeps his job...

AleshaLee
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I don't know if Angie's List is available in your area, but it's worth a try. The referrals I get from friends and family are usually crappy, so I've started using this service to get referrals for contractors, etc. I also get coupons for services via email. http://www.angieslist.com/
EddiesMama83
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Do you live in the south? I do and I see all kinds of lazy people at "work". 

Quoting LDavis33:

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

smurfbitebug
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I just want to say that I love your Avi. Made me chuckle.

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Nope, Manitoba Canada.  Well, I guess I am assuming you are American.  

Quoting EddiesMama83:

Do you live in the south? I do and I see all kinds of lazy people at "work". 

Quoting LDavis33:

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Thanks.  

Quoting smurfbitebug:

I just want to say that I love your Avi. Made me chuckle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN