Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do these people keep their jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (41-50):
karlamousse4
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly its because no one has any pressure on them these days to do their job because no one cares about anyone else anymore. We live in such a me first world that its such a big inconvenience to help someone even when it's their freakin job! Then! Everyone just says "thats just the way it is... You have to just do it yourself' and I say the hell with that because its their job and I cant do EVERYTHING by myself like rebuilding a freakin house! Sorry, now who's venting lol. I totally feel you though, no one gives a sh** and it's okay if you can do it yourself, but sometimes you just cant.
philsmom196
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Saskatchewan is nicer, both are rural, though yours is more "rugged", GL finding help, find a group of neighbors, network for help,

karamille
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

A couple of years ago we had a leak start in our roof late in the year.  We were going to put a new roof on in the spring when the weather was better so we just needed it patched.  We called a contractor, he came out gave us an estimate, and we agreed to it.  We talked some about him doing our spring roofing job and he said he would give us a quote on that when he came back to patch it.  He was supposed to show up monday per our estimate/work agreement.   Monday he didn't show up.  Tuesday he didn't show up.  Wedsday he didn't show up.  Thursday night it was supposed to rain a lot.  My husband took the thursday off work, had family friend come over who had some roofing experience and they got it patched.  FRIDAY I wake up and hear noise outside.  The contractor is at our house and getting the ladders off his truck.  I tell him we already fixed it ourselves.  He starts SCREAMING at me that he's going to sue me because we had a contract.  I told him to go right ahead because the contract says he will show up monday to do the work and its now friday.  He continued to scream and cuss at me in front of the kids.  I went inside and called the police.   He screamed and yelled at them too.  One of them called me from his cell phone and told me not to come outside because the guy was so agitated.  He did end up leaving but not until he had every neighbor on the street watching out their window.  How embarrassing.  

DropZoneMom
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I live in a VERY rural area -- and wouldn't put up with this bullshit from people whom I want to PAY to do their jobs.   Find another contractor.....find a new ISP....there are plenty of people out there who will do the job you hire them to do.

Diane1223
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

AGREED!

Stacie2261
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM
It's not just where you live. I'm in Baton Rouge Louisiana and I see this type of 'customer service' every day. It floors me how the customer is treated now days. I report it every chance I get because hopefully, if enough people like us complain, maybe just maybe it will change.
amandaxshawn08
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Well that sucks...
luvschocolate
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Maybe its different in Canada, but i never have issues.  True  I live on a moderatley sized city and use local service providers.  No big box companires for me.  We eat local, we shop local we give back to our community.

foran
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I live in a very rural area in northern maine woods and i don't have that problen yep i think your are dealing with disrespectful people I'm sorry that this is happening to you i hope thungs do turn around for you good luck
katherinemcp
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Yup. Last spring our propane company told us they'd be at our house the next day to fill our tanks, we were very low! That was a Monday. Come Thursday, we were out of feul and I called again. They said they'd be out Friday. Of course they never showed so I called Friday afternoon and they said they could come right out but we'd have to pay a 'rush' fee plus a 'weekend delivery fee'. Yeah, right.

We literally waited for two and a half weeks for that damn company to come fill our tanks. What a-holes! Thankfully it was spring so we just grilled out and if we really wanted something baked or done on the stovetop, we had our woodstove.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)