Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do these people keep their jobs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (61-70):
dgarcia7
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
No one does their job...you can't even goto McDonald's without having to double check your order. Its annoying.
PoplarGrove
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I live on rural Alberta and its the same. We called 4 guys for quotes to do our roof. One actually got a quite to us. We hired him and 3 months later he still hasn't shown up and never returned our calls. We had to call someone from the city to do it. A week later the guy shows up on our doorstep wanting to know why we had someone else do our roof...uh...cause it's leaking? I need someone to hang drywall. It'll probably be done in a couple years at the rate contractors do anything here.
angeltink7
by on May. 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Add me to the issue with contractors not showing.  I wonder if it is a contractor thing.  I even bought expensive pella windows over 2 years ago.  They contracted out the installation and the guys they sent complained from the time they started to the time they finished.  It was supposed to be a one day job and the guys son was 4 hours late so that turned into a two day job.  They came out the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and we had to move everything near the windows from the rooms that would be installed in.  Well then they wanted to take Wednesday to Sunday off and didn't want to come back till Monday.  I got on the phone and called the main office who then called him while he was installing our windows and he cussed me out for calling and making him have to work on a day he wanted off.  Then the last window they installed leaks and we have had them out a dozen times over the last year and they blame the leaking on everything but their installation despite the fact that our old window never leaked.  I still wish we kept the old window instead of paying $800 for the sad excuse of a window we have that might as well not be there when it rains hard.  

Anyway, sometimes service people just don't have the background or training that it takes to give good customer service. 

alexis_06
by on May. 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

i've never had the problem..but yaa that would drive me crazy!

AmosFarkle
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I say, "Lazy morons!" too!!!!!  Keep at it, mama.  Your pros are out there.

suesues
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I live near NYC and its the same people dont want to work

dilly202
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM

When I lived in a big city I had probs all the time, I chalk it up to I am a female if my hubby called they were quick on the draw.  Now that I live in a small town I get a lot better service.

trainlady
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Its not that they just don't get it, they were never taught. Bad parenting, bad teachers, bad bosses. I can agree with you totally. And its not because you are in a rural area. Its happening everywhere. Customer service SUCKS. These people don't realize that without the customer you don't have a job, without a job you don't have money coming in. 2 and 2 aren't making 4 here. No one has respect for the customer. They can't answer a phone right they can't email correct information. I get the speil all the time about that person that said that was a temp and didn't know what she was talking about.  Well temp or not they are responsible for everybody in their company. Even the post office told me that the problem I had one day was because it was a temp running the route. I fired back with "don't you train them all the same" They had to admit that I was right. One thing I have learned is no matter who you talk to get their name and position and the number and email of the company and I date this information an put it in my own file. Then they have a much harder time squeezing out of something they said when I have to call back.

bhejlik
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We had a lot of that too. It's crazy how people actually get paid and make money with service like this. ULG! 

paigea
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I live in Rural Alberta.  Here, trades people have more work than they can handle.  The small towns are really small and don't have many services,  so pretty much have to get someone to come out from the city.  They charge a lot just to come out and it's hard to get an appointment.  We lucked out with our ISP because an employee lives in one small town only 20 km from us, so when we've needed him he was able to fit us in.  (not the same day, but he came when he said)

And it's usually easy to get an appointment for the septic tank because they're up and down the country roads all the time.  But, still have to phone ahead, they can't just fit us in immediately.   And that can depend.  Last year when lots of systems were flooded due to huge snow melt and rain in the spring, they were hard to get an appointment with as well.

But, I hear you on the rest. Hard to get anyone of the trades to come out.  Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN