18 Worst Things Said to Moms During Labor & Delivery...
by Mary Fischer
Giving birth to a baby is, well, kind of an emotional roller coaster ride for most of us, and that's why it's so nice to have kind, compassionate nurses and doctors cheering us on and taking care of us as we bring our little ones into the world.
But while a great medical staff can make having a baby the best experience of a mom's life -- hearing insults, rude comments, or statements that are downright mean come out of their mouths really kind of put a damper on the entire day. (And when family members say something crappy, that sucks too.)
Hard to believe, but it happens.
Check out some of the worst things people have said to moms while they're giving birth:
- While practically screaming at me, my nurse grabbed my shoulders and loudly said, "WHY ARE YOU CRYING??" And then when I told her I thought I'd peed all over myself, she responded with, "SO WHAT?" -- Mary, The Stir
- "'Let's get this going. I don't have all day.' -- by my fill-in doctor." -- Jen
- "The doctor came in with blinky sleepy eyes and said, 'wow it's been a long time since I've been called in here.' WHAT!?!?!?" -- Julie, A Year With Mom and Dad
- "'You can't push yet. Your doctor won't be here for at least 10 minutes.' (As my baby was crowning.) I almost kicked that nurse in the face." -- Raynah
- "Used me as a pincushion -- could not for the life of her administer my epidural. Kicked my husband out of the room in the most degrading way possible -- 'Awww, dad can't handle it.' And then told me I needed to be quiet during my contractions because I was bothering the other patients. Just disgusting. I filed a complaint with the hospital after I left." -- Jill
- "Anesthesiologist came in room and said 'I'm sorry we are out of epidurals -- it's going to be about an hour before I can give you one.' A hospital "ran out" of epidurals? What is that!?" -- @pearson2363
- "By my (now ex) husband, 'stop scrunching your face and breathe like you learned in Lamaze, it can't be THAT bad.'" -- @Crystal_Bethel
- "As they were putting in the final stitch after my C-section I overheard my doctor bragging, 'that, my friends, goes down in record as the fastest c section I've ever performed.' I was wheeled into recovery just praying everything was back in its rightful place!" -- Julie
- "As my anesthesiologist was about to put my epidural in he said, 'now when you push, your bird won't be numb!'" -- Brittany
- "For my first child I was in so much and the nurse said to me, 'It doesn't hurt.' And I asked 'Do you have any children?' And she replied, 'No.' My snappy comment to her was, 'Then how the heck would you know if it hurts?' Like you said, BITCH!!" -- Tina
- "The OB on call wasn't in the hospital so I talked to her on the phone. She kept yawning as she gave me a choice of having her come in and do a C-section or waiting for the next doctor in the morning. Yeah, I waited so she wouldn't fall asleep in my nether regions." -- Denise, According to Denise
- "The one that sticks in my head is when Shannon was having Zoey and the doctor said she needed to hurry up because he wanted to go home! REALLY?" -- Kristine
- "I was waiting sooo long for an epidural and in the worst pain I could ever imagine. They started setting up a table with instruments in my room and my MOM says 'looks like your doing this the old fashioned honey' I just started screaming 'Noooooo!' Thanks for scaring the hell out of me mom!" -- Rebecca
- "I was lying in the bed and felt a gush. Thinking my water broke, I told my husband to call a nurse. Turns out I just passed a huge clot (sorry for the TMI), and the nurse actually treated me like I was an idiot for calling her. Um, how was I supposed to know it wasn't my water breaking? I'd never given birth before! Sheesh!" -- Jeanne, The Stir
- "I was being induced, so they had a fetal monitor on my stomach, but I was having bad back labor. When I'd turn on my side so my husband could massage me, the nurse would run in and tell me that this was NOT about me, this was about the baby, so I needed to just lie on my back and take it." -- Jeanne, The Stir
- "'Wait...are you in labor, or are you here to be induced?' Uh how about you tell me! It was my first." -- @lizzieshafer
- "After laboring for 20+ hours the nurse said 'all the other moms have delivered. You're the LAST one!' Awesome." -- @vitatrain4life
- "When the nurse told me there was no time for an epidural - I was having my baby now!" -- @krissyclarkemcke
What was the worst thing someone said to you during your labor and delivery?