Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Food

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 10 Replies
When do babies start eating food instead of just having milk?
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

You can start introducing foods as early as 6 months or can wait until a year old.  They need breastmilk or formula as their nutritional source until a year old and other foods for experimenting and learning the textures.

2wkmom2013
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Great! Thank you! Ive been wondering for a while now about that. Any specific foods you recommend?
SweetPea2004
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't start with something sweet like bananas but something like green beans

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We started our girl on the green veggies in the baby food aisle.  You can make your own as well.   She loved and still loves mashed potatoes.   Applesauce would be a good treat that is sweet and fairly healthy.

Quoting 2wkmom2013:

Great! Thank you! Ive been wondering for a while now about that. Any specific foods you recommend?

Perle1
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Start with veggies and rice cereal. I started with cereal and fruit and my son never liked veggies until now (he's 17). I always blamed the fruits first order. Everyone else loved veggies. 

NDADanceMom
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Avocados are the ideal first food. Rice is not digestible for babies. Not sure why its considered a first food.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on May. 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this

i started my daughter at 6 months with veggies...just make sure when you do start, stick with one flavour at a time for a couple days, that way it's easier to find out if there are any allergies. 

MusherMaggie
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
When they can sit unassisted in a high chair, have lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can use pincer grasp to pick up small soft pieces of food and put it in their mouths. Solids before one year are just for fun; nursing or milk feeding comes first. Google "baby-led solids".
Rosesandlilys
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Squash was always my sons favorite.

2wkmom2013
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Thank you everyone!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)