Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Scared one and half year old...

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
So my poor little one is just getting over an ear infection.
We were on a good schedule prior to this where he went down almost without a fight every night at 8 and was really good about taking his naps during the day. Now when we put him in his bed because he is showing all the signs of being ready, he just screams bloody murder. I think he is petrified of going to sleep. So what do I do, should I let him cry?
If I let him cry for 10 mins then he will settle himself and lay down and go off...but it is the longest and most agonizing 10 mins. Should I be soothing him instead? I am afraid if I do that then he will start wanting that as routine. I am totally torn...has anyone been through this??
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
double2trouble
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I hear you, I have a daughter that gets very frequent ear infections and she is 4 and does not sleep thru the night at all anymore, not saying that yours is gonna be like that but she is very hard to deal with sometimes, a lot of days she is crabby and by the time bedtime rolls around I am glad for the 10 minutes of peace and quiet. I would comfort him after about 2 or 3 minutes but don't pick him up then walk away but stay in sight for the first couple of days then just go to the doorway the next couple of days and gradually work your way out of sight. Having ear infections does a lot to them trust me. It builds up fluid in their ear cannals and when they lay down that moves and feels really weird to them. He is gonna take a little bit of time to get over that after the antibiotics or whatever he got does it job. 

mommyshere
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

No, I don't think you should let him cry.  Soothing him is a much better option.  If he wants it as a routine, then do it.  He's your baby.  Don't let him cry when you can be making him feel better. Cuddle him and hold him all that you can every night.

funhappymom
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I think you need to do what is right for you and your family. If you don't like to hear him cry then comfort him. If you don't mind the crying, knowing he falls asleep within a 10 minutes, then let him cry.

I personally try comforting and reassuring first but sometimes, they just want to cry and nothing I can do helps. (((HUGS))) mama, you are doing a great job.

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Cio for 10mins isnot bad. Cio for 2hrs isnt bad either
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

do u use essential oils at all? I teach classes on them thry can help sooth ear pain in minutes as well as get rid of an infection in just a couple days with out killing his whole immune system with antibiotics for 10 days. they also will help to calm his nerves. Don't buy them at the store thought hey are most likely just perfume noe medicinal grade. if u need help or info message me. I don't know how old he is, but if he is truly fine, let him cry, and just go in and lay him down every now and then, this could start a bad habit of needing to hold him to sleep etc.

HUGS.

cosmikgirl
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies. It's all a balance. He is slowly getting back to normal. I can't listen to him cry for very long...it kills me.
Thanks for all the hugs!
Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

persoanlly,  no I dont let my baby cry. but i do let him fuss.. but if he is getting over  an ear infection id comfort him & then slowly shorten each time you go in ya know? sorta wean him  back to being on his won  for sleep. 

jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Awww, my daughter just went through this. Partially it's teething--she's working on a couple right now. We give her Motrin at night for that. But I think 18 months is also a huge developmental time and that's probably why it's such a big age for separation anxiety.

We've dealt with it differently than her earlier sleep issues, because we don't think it's a sleep training issue. She KNOWS how to fall asleep alone and put herself back to sleep when she wakes, because she's been doing it since she was 4 months old. The issue here is fear. So we stretched out the bedtime routine and added extra books and songs, and after she goes in the crib if she needs it, my husband or I will sit in the rocking chair next to her crib until she falls asleep. Not touching her, not talking to her, just sitting there so she knows she's not alone. She's only needed it once, but (knock on wood) the fear seems to be subsiding!

RADmomma
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I am non CIO. I would comfort him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)