Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Smart phone/data plan usage question.

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 23 Replies

DH and I just got our first smart phones. We have 2gb of data. We use wifi at home and I can use wifi at work. Other than that we dont use the data much. Maybe check facebook once in a great while if bored or play angry birds. I'm afraid to go over since I dont really know how fast you can run through it. I haven't figured out GPS, but when I do I might use that at some point. I would also like to let DS use it to play things like angry birds on car rides sometimes.

So I'm just wondering how easy it is to go over 2gb's of data? Do you think I will go over with the amount we use it/plan to use it?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myownparadise
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I would be afraid of that. The GPS is what uses data the most for me, and I am always connected to WiFi at home.
codfish
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM
If you are just surfing it shouldn't go over. Streaming sucks up your data quickly. Set your limit notification so you will know when you get close.
the_kids_mom
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2gb isn't much data, especially if you're sharing. I'm not sure about the GPS part. I have 5gb for my phone, but I don't have wifi. I never go over 5gb, but I almost always go over 2gb. With that being said, my dd has a 2gb plan, and she never goes over. I play a lot of online games, where most of hers are offline. She makes up for it with texting.....I'm so glad we have unlimited texts!
Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Streaming? As in movies on netflix or something? We dont use that. What about pandora? Does that use a lot? I will look into setting a notification, see if I can figure that out.

Quoting codfish:

If you are just surfing it shouldn't go over. Streaming sucks up your data quickly. Set your limit notification so you will know when you get close.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We have unlimited texts. Like I said we dont use it off of the wifi much. Even at home I often use the regular computer over the phone because I like it better for surfing the web. I'm not much into playing games. I just basically wanted the smart phone for the GPS and to use once in a while on long trips for DS to play and stuff.

Quoting the_kids_mom:

2gb isn't much data, especially if you're sharing. I'm not sure about the GPS part. I have 5gb for my phone, but I don't have wifi. I never go over 5gb, but I almost always go over 2gb. With that being said, my dd has a 2gb plan, and she never goes over. I play a lot of online games, where most of hers are offline. She makes up for it with texting.....I'm so glad we have unlimited texts!

veronicamw
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM

you dont have to be online to play angry birds fyi :) 

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Really? I had to download the app, I thought that used data?

I'm new to this whole thing and dont really understand how it works.  

Quoting veronicamw:

Piskie
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Get an app.... There are plenty of phone ones around. They'll notify you if you go over, and then you'll be able to track how much you use. GPS uses more than browsing, streaming things is the big one tho.
outtamymynd
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM
My teenager come really close with her data usage but Verizon sends warnings when you hit a certain amount. Also, you can get a data widget so you can check as often as you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Piskie
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
The download does, but after that it doesn't need an internet connection to play. You can also set up your updates to only go when you're on WiFi.

Quoting Seagodess:

Really? I had to download the app, I thought that used data?

I'm new to this whole thing and dont really understand how it works.  

Quoting veronicamw:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)