Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

sister hates my son

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 29 Replies
My son will be 16 in a couple months. He's bipolar and even though he's on meds, he still lies and manipulates and gets angry. My sister whom I'm very close to hates him and always says negative things about him. It hurts me and makes me angry because even though I may vent about him at times, of course I love him and don't want to have to defend him to her all the time. Advice?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM

How old is sister?  I would just not talk to her for awhile about him.  I am hoping you have a support system besides her that you can let off the occasional steam of frustraion with raising a teenage boy let alone the bipolar diagnosis.   The lying,manipulating,getting angry is part of teenagehood but should not get any free passes due to the bipolar.  Discipline and rules are doubly needed now.

KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Your sister sounds like a douche.
KellyNips
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM

when she says negative things about your son, simply say thank you and change the subject.  pretty soon she will get the idea that you just don't care what she says because it will no longer bother you -- it will get old real quick for her and she will realize that she can't hurt you any more.  good luck.

theresaphilly
by Theresa on May. 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this

You are going to have to be open with your sister. Tell her how saying unkind things about your child makes you feel and she needs to keep her mouth shut, if she is going to be apart of your life. I don't believe in alienating family but you can't have someone saying unkind things about your child.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Thank you. Sis is just a bit older than me. Good advice.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is sister?  I would just not talk to her for awhile about him.  I am hoping you have a support system besides her that you can let off the occasional steam of frustraion with raising a teenage boy let alone the bipolar diagnosis.   The lying,manipulating,getting angry is part of teenagehood but should not get any free passes due to the bipolar.  Discipline and rules are doubly needed now.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
At times she sure is!!!!!

Quoting KendallsMommee:

Your sister sounds like a douche.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I like this a lot. I think I used to handle it more along these lines. I'll give it a go. Thx.

Quoting KellyNips:

when she says negative things about your son, simply say thank you and change the subject.  pretty soon she will get the idea that you just don't care what she says because it will no longer bother you -- it will get old real quick for her and she will realize that she can't hurt you any more.  good luck.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I agree on all points here. Thx.

Quoting theresaphilly:

You are going to have to be open with your sister. Tell her how saying unkind things about your child makes you feel and she needs to keep her mouth shut, if she is going to be apart of your life. I don't believe in alienating family but you can't have someone saying unkind things about your child.

NDADanceMom
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop telling her bad things about him.
Jenniy
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Knock the piss out of her and then stop talking to her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)