Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My son will be 16 in a couple months. He's bipolar and even though he's on meds, he still lies and manipulates and gets angry. My sister whom I'm very close to hates him and always says negative things about him. It hurts me and makes me angry because even though I may vent about him at times, of course I love him and don't want to have to defend him to her all the time. Advice?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
kansasmom1978
by on May. 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

My ss is 17 and lies constantly. He is dx with a mood disorder. I can't stand him. Lying is my biggest pet peeve and everytime this kid opens his mouth he's lying. UGH

jconney80
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I would just distance yourself from her if she can't be supportive and understanding. 

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Yes absolutely. I did decide to do that. I'll vent to a colleague in the future if I need to. They understand I'm just seeking a little validation and support at times. Thx.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Stop telling her bad things about him.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Damn skippy....this is my fav so far! Thx! Lol.

Quoting Jenniy:

Knock the piss out of her and then stop talking to her

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Singing to the choir here! It is frustrating behavior for certain!

Quoting kansasmom1978:

My ss is 17 and lies constantly. He is dx with a mood disorder. I can't stand him. Lying is my biggest pet peeve and everytime this kid opens his mouth he's lying. UGH

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Agree. I've already decided I could never take the stress of having her join my boys and I on a cruise this summer. So that plan will need to change. Thx.

Quoting jconney80:

I would just distance yourself from her if she can't be supportive and understanding. 

legobaby
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM
My mom is bipolar too, and I have to admit that I don't like her sometimes. That being said, I think my almost four year old might be mildly autistic, although he hasn't been tested yet. I'm sure some people are bothered by his behavior at times, but I'm glad they let me handle it for the most part. I would be really upset with family if I felt like they were judging him for behaviors he can't help.

However, you have to understand that we are more sensitive to our kids' problems than anyone else. I do feel like my mom is just a mean, bad person sometimes and just use the bipolar disorder as an excuse for her behavior. I would probably be more sympathetic if it was my child though.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I agree. I'm pretty sure my brother hates DS because he always wanted a boy and has 2 girls (whom he does love). I keep them apart from each other and walk away when my brother says anything.

Quoting theresaphilly:

You are going to have to be open with your sister. Tell her how saying unkind things about your child makes you feel and she needs to keep her mouth shut, if she is going to be apart of your life. I don't believe in alienating family but you can't have someone saying unkind things about your child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM
That's very sad. Because my son is older I did talk to him today about keeping them apart more. It won't actually be that hard to do at all. Good luck with your little guy. :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. I'm pretty sure my brother hates DS because he always wanted a boy and has 2 girls (whom he does love). I keep them apart from each other and walk away when my brother says anything.

Quoting theresaphilly:

You are going to have to be open with your sister. Tell her how saying unkind things about your child makes you feel and she needs to keep her mouth shut, if she is going to be apart of your life. I don't believe in alienating family but you can't have someone saying unkind things about your child.

Uniquecoolio
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Sorry about your mom. Yes I agree parents are more sensitive. I feel like it's a blessing and a curse at times to feel so deeply.

Quoting legobaby:

My mom is bipolar too, and I have to admit that I don't like her sometimes. That being said, I think my almost four year old might be mildly autistic, although he hasn't been tested yet. I'm sure some people are bothered by his behavior at times, but I'm glad they let me handle it for the most part. I would be really upset with family if I felt like they were judging him for behaviors he can't help.

However, you have to understand that we are more sensitive to our kids' problems than anyone else. I do feel like my mom is just a mean, bad person sometimes and just use the bipolar disorder as an excuse for her behavior. I would probably be more sympathetic if it was my child though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)