Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help what is wrong with my child

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 24 Replies
My child that was potty trained at 2 years old has started peeing in her pants and also undressing to urinate in other places like floor closet bathtub and just tonight she removed her clothes and held up a pair of pants to herself and peed all over them and the floor. She has been to every doctor and nothing medically wrong with her. She goes to therapy and we are not making any progress. I feel like a terrible mother to not be able to solve this problem she is having. Please help we are lost at what to do. The counselor told us to start punishing her but that also hasn't helped. .
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is the child  now?   I would have her face the natural consequences of having accidents rather than punish for them.  A natural consequence would her helping clean up the mess and put all clothing/linens in the washing machine with your help.  She can wipe up the floor with paper towels or once used bath towels.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM

my youngest went through a brief phase of not wanting to bother with the potty but it only lasted a couple of weeks...I wish you the best and hope someone on here can be helpful

Mom-3girls-1boy
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
She is 7 years old and does clean the mess up and actually enjoys cleaning it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is the child  now?   I would have her face the natural consequences of having accidents rather than punish for them.  A natural consequence would her helping clean up the mess and put all clothing/linens in the washing machine with your help.  She can wipe up the floor with paper towels or once used bath towels.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:46 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hi there,
Have you tried asking her why she is doing what she is doing?  If so what does she say?
Good luck hon :)

Mom-3girls-1boy
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM
She says she doesn't know. Tonight after her dad walking in on her peeing on the clothes I asked if she couldn't make it to the bathroom and she said no that she didn't need to use the bathroom she just wanted to see if she could pee on the clothes.

Quoting hugss:

Hi there,
Have you tried asking her why she is doing what she is doing?  If so what does she say?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:46 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM

How about getting a reward system going  for her?

Quoting Mom-3girls-1boy:

She says she doesn't know. Tonight after her dad walking in on her peeing on the clothes I asked if she couldn't make it to the bathroom and she said no that she didn't need to use the bathroom she just wanted to see if she could pee on the clothes.

Quoting hugss:

Hi there,

mrsledford09
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Did something recently change in her life?
Mom-3girls-1boy
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Yes she found out 2 years ago that I'm not her real mom. We never acted like I was but I guess she just finally figured it out in her mind. The only reason we figured out that she had no idea was because of her talking to the therapist and asking why I wasn't her real mom. We also purchased a new home last June to be closer to my husbands job and had a baby 20months ago. The peeing problem started about 6 months ago.

Quoting mrsledford09:

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she do this at school or at the counselor's office? Or just at home where she can piss all over the house with overly understanding parents?

You mentioned she just wanted " to see if she could" pee on the clothes. You're punishments are not strong enough. If it were me( and it is not) all clothes but one outfit a day would be remove and no more than three different outfits a week. If she urinates in those clothes or takes them off to purposefully urinate on other items or parts of the house, she loses those clothes for the week ( down to two clothing options) sort of a more serious form of counting to three. She can obviously earn back her wardrobe, I'd also be removing anything of value from her room and that's the room she can stay unless she is called or has to appropropriately eliminate. I'd go so far as to put a litter box in her room if she is so fond of a mess and cleaning, she can scoop it herself.
If course, this is all hypothetical because it isn't my child.

mrsledford09
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Anything more recent? About 6 months ago? Sometimes kids revert to get attention, sometimes its a coping mechanism.

Quoting Mom-3girls-1boy:

Yes she found out 2 years ago that I'm not her real mom. We never acted like I was but I guess she just finally figured it out in her mind. The only reason we figured out that she had no idea was because of her talking to the therapist and asking why I wasn't her real mom. We also purchased a new home last June to be closer to my husbands job and had a baby 20months ago. The peeing problem started about 6 months ago.

Quoting mrsledford09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)