Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are You A One Car Family?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 111 Replies

Do you only have one vehicle for your family? If so, how do you make it work when you both need the vehicle?

We're thinking of getting rid of one of our cars since DH just uses it to get to work and then it sits in the lot all day. I don't really go anywhere so I don't even need a car most days.  I can just drive him when I need the car.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

No bump

atmsmom2011
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM
He rides w my step dad but when he doesn't wr just juggle best we can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chirinos
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I'm a single mom and I have just my one van. I would be lost without it due to the boys apt's and activities.
gdsTX
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Currently, we're forced to only use one vehicle since the other is out of order until the mechanic can get it fixed.

It's not to hard for us, though. We work at the same place, so even when we had two working vehicles we carpool and aren't really put out with just the one.

Arwyn724
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm a single mom and we have two cars.  My daughter doesn't even have her license yet, but she has a car.

kaitlynherring
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I'm a sahm and just take him to work when I need it. We got rid of our 2 crappy cars right before dd was born and bought a new car.
Rosebud27aj
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

We have 1 vehicle, but we also have an advantage to that. My dh works 5 minutes away by car and 15 minutes by foot. I just bring him to work or he'll walk. Now for school, I'll bring him if I need the car or he takes it if I don't need it. His school is only 10 minutes away by car. Then there's always taking a bus if need be, we live right on the bus line.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Yes we are. We make it work bc my husband is gone 90% of the year. And the weekends he comes home he rents a car for the weekend
lulumomof2
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM

we are a one car family (that we pay for) my dh gets to drive his work van home (he is a hvac service tech). Our oldest son will be turning 16 next year and we will be getting another car. It will be a family car, but son will be take it to and from school (and to any activities/work as needed)

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

TableforSeven
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

We are a ZERO car family.  We walk or use public transportation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN