Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you only have one vehicle for your family? If so, how do you make it work when you both need the vehicle?

We're thinking of getting rid of one of our cars since DH just uses it to get to work and then it sits in the lot all day. I don't really go anywhere so I don't even need a car most days.  I can just drive him when I need the car.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
Mrs.Godfrey
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

i live a mile from work and we are in the center of town so i just walk or ride my bike most of the time... the only time having one car is hard is when my little ones in baseball season... for him it only lasts six weeks so we make it work some how :)

iansusie
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Oh, I am so jealous. I believe you (or should I say I KNOW) that it is cheaper that way. If I had that option, I would not have a car (or at least not 2). I don't live in the middle of dowtown, so public transportation isn't that great. 

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

I live in the middle of downtown Portland, Or.  I'm literally walking distance from everything from the grocery store to a hospital, and everything in between.  Also, Portland has a fantastic public transit system, I have access to the bus line/MAX line/Streetcar line to access other areas of Portland, Vancouver, Clackamas Beaverton, Hillsoboro and other outer lying towns around Portland. All have stops/stations literally on the corner of my block, and every other block around me for the most part.

When my son was growing up we walked to school, the longest distance was around 30 blocks, or took the bus or streetcar.

For grocery shopping or shopping in general. I usually just walk to where I want to go (from the mall to the grocery store, and all my fave shops/department stores) and shop. Then walk home.  For groceries, I buy everything fresh, so I shop pretty much daily for groceries.

If I plan on driving to the Coast or up to the mountain, or going someplace of distance. I just rent a car. It usually cost me less than $100 (that's less than most people pay in gas every  month. I just do this a few times a year). Visit family, friends, vacation, I fly the majority of the time.

For me it's cheaper and more convenient to not own a car where I live, than it is to own a car. Between the cost of the car itself, insurance, gas, maintenance  and parking, I  have saved a small fortune over the years by not having to own a car.

Quoting iansusie:

LOL, yes, that is what I mean... when we had one car I tried to map out to take the city bus to take my kids to school and that was going to take me 3hrs each way and a lot of walking and I am less than 3 miles from their school but their is a major highway between the school and our home. 

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

In what sense?  Not trying to be obtuse, I'm just not clear on what you are asking.  Do you mean: how do I buy groceries, go to the mall, get to a hospital, get home from a bar.. lol

Quoting iansusie:

How do you survive?

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

We are a no car family and have been for over 20 years.  Works wonderfully for us. However, I know it's not a feasible option for many people.

MrsCarnes88
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Yes we sold my car a few months back since he works nights I have the car all day to so what ever I need then he goes to work..
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on May. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

i'm a single mom, i dont have a car.  we walk or take the bus. 

spicy_n_sweet
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I think it's actually detrimental to society as a whole, that good public transportation and city planning around not using a car aren't more prevelant around the country.  Just those two things can increase livability for so many places, save so many people much needed money, increase money spent inside the community itself instead of spent outside, increase public health, and there are so many other benefits for good public transit and urban/suburban planning around not having to have a car. So many people have no choice, they must have a car or multiple cars to get by..

Quoting iansusie:

Oh, I am so jealous. I believe you (or should I say I KNOW) that it is cheaper that way. If I had that option, I would not have a car (or at least not 2). I don't live in the middle of dowtown, so public transportation isn't that great. 

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

I live in the middle of downtown Portland, Or.  I'm literally walking distance from everything from the grocery store to a hospital, and everything in between.  Also, Portland has a fantastic public transit system, I have access to the bus line/MAX line/Streetcar line to access other areas of Portland, Vancouver, Clackamas Beaverton, Hillsoboro and other outer lying towns around Portland. All have stops/stations literally on the corner of my block, and every other block around me for the most part.

When my son was growing up we walked to school, the longest distance was around 30 blocks, or took the bus or streetcar.

For grocery shopping or shopping in general. I usually just walk to where I want to go (from the mall to the grocery store, and all my fave shops/department stores) and shop. Then walk home.  For groceries, I buy everything fresh, so I shop pretty much daily for groceries.

If I plan on driving to the Coast or up to the mountain, or going someplace of distance. I just rent a car. It usually cost me less than $100 (that's less than most people pay in gas every  month. I just do this a few times a year). Visit family, friends, vacation, I fly the majority of the time.

For me it's cheaper and more convenient to not own a car where I live, than it is to own a car. Between the cost of the car itself, insurance, gas, maintenance  and parking, I  have saved a small fortune over the years by not having to own a car.

Quoting iansusie:

LOL, yes, that is what I mean... when we had one car I tried to map out to take the city bus to take my kids to school and that was going to take me 3hrs each way and a lot of walking and I am less than 3 miles from their school but their is a major highway between the school and our home. 

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

In what sense?  Not trying to be obtuse, I'm just not clear on what you are asking.  Do you mean: how do I buy groceries, go to the mall, get to a hospital, get home from a bar.. lol

Quoting iansusie:

How do you survive?

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

We are a no car family and have been for over 20 years.  Works wonderfully for us. However, I know it's not a feasible option for many people.

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
We both work full time, opposite sides of the city..so we each have a car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBee107
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

we are a one car family for almost 2 years now. we both work but my husband has a work van. the only thing is he can only use it work. DH is off on Thursday's and Fridays so if he needs the car for something he drives me to work. We really do need another car. it would make our life easier. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Yes. Actually we have lots of cars...my car, DH's car, a 1992 Corvette, a 1996 CamaroZ28 convertible and a truc for DH's side business. The Corvette and Camaro are pretty much only driven in the spring and summer. I wouldn't care if we got rid of them, even though they're fun to drive, but I couldn't imagine not having own car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

No we have 2 vehicles.

JessyJ6
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We recently became a one car family. Our situation is a little different in the summer because hubby has a motorcycle. However, come winter time, if I need the car he will ride with a friend down the road or I will drop him off at work. Honestly, going to only one car has been great for us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)