Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Payment date issue. What would you do? UPDATE

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

You get paid on the 5th and 20th of every month. Rent is due the 1st, but you have until the 5th to pay it. Car payment is due the 13th, they will not change that. You cannot pay both out of 1 check.

What do you do?

Funny story to come later.

Update-

Ok, so this is not MY issue. It is/was a family members and I just wanted to see what others thought and would do. As I suspected, most of you said you would pay rent out of the check from the 20th, and car from the 5th. That sounded like the most logical thing to do to me. So now, here is the funny story.

Family member bought a car about 5 years ago I think it was. Payments due on the 13th of each month and her paydays were 5th and 20th. Rather than changing her budget around to make the payments on time, she paid the car payment out of the check from the 20th every month making it late. So for 5 years was getting late fees. She racked up $3000 in late fees. The repo'ed her car and she is now mad at them because they should let her change the payment date.

The reason this is funny is because this is NOT surprising at all. This is the kind of thing she does all the time. Why? Because other things like going on vacation and buying new clothes is more important than paying the bills. Every time she finds a shirt or something she likes, she has to buy the pants, shoes and everything. She also just went on a mini vacation with her kids. All this, but cant make her car payments on time. She is so bad with money that she gets money from her mom all the time who has cancer and lives of SS. Her mom is pawning her jewelry and stuff to give her money. After her car was repo'ed, she gave her an old crappy car that she had so she could drive her kids to school and stuff. Then she had the nerve a day later to say she hated driving it and started asking family members to use their credit cards to rent her a car and she would give them cash.

Karma is a b****.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Will you be able to pay 2 car payments on the 13th for just one month?

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM

No. 1 car payment per month.

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

Will you be able to pay 2 car payments on the 13th for just one month?

Arwyn724
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The first check of the month goes to car payment, the second check of the month goes to rent, by the first of next month.  That's how my bills work. Last check of the month pays next month's mortgage, first check of the month pays everything else.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

DH gets paid twice a month. We've got things worked around to where we're VERY RARELY late with anything. I honestly have no clue how we managed working it around it anymore.

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This is how I do mine too. Except now I just get paid every two weeks so it doesn't fall exactly on the 1st & 15th anymore.

Quoting Arwyn724:

The first check of the month goes to car payment, the second check of the month goes to rent, by the first of next month.  That's how my bills work. Last check of the month pays next month's mortgage, first check of the month pays everything else.

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We pay rent from the previous month's income.  Is there any way to save enough and get a little ahead?

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

fstysxofthebtt
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I split my bills between our paychecks. Half out of the 1st and half out of the 2nd. Bills are always paid and we have money left over every check and a nice chunk in savings. Works better for us.

PinkHart
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
If you're caught up, save half of the check on the 20th. Use it with half of the 5th check for rent and the other half of the 5th check to pay the car?
kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I would play the rent with the 5th and car payment the 20th. Then i would redo my budget to get it so they were both on time. I do juggle rent and a huge car payment. They are on opposite paychecks. Rent is paid from the second paycheck of the month and car payment from the first. Both are on time. 

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Set up your bank to send a check for the rent out of your second check and the car payment from the first one.  It will be early some months, but better than late.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)