Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Pro-Life OR Pro-Choice

Options:

Pro-Life

Pro-Choice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

So, I have always had Pro-Life feelings....I just feel that these are babies being killed, or well, as some word it: terminated.

I am a very religious person, and I will admit that that has a strong influence on my opinion. But then my medical background also comes into play-- babies, as tiny as they may be or  "fetuses" are literally ripped apart and then slowly taken out of the mothers womb. Yes, that's exactly what happens. So, when people make comments about it being the woman's choice, I'mleft feeling very sad....no, in most cases these are women who are very worried about the situation that they are in....they're not married, they don't have a job or stable home among other things...but I feel they are left feeling that this is their only way out, especially when a doctor is willing to take care of the "problem" for a couple of dollars. All these articles coming out on abortion clinics should be paid attention to, the fact that the media had more coverage on the Michael Vick issue makes me wonder, and this is just what we know, can you imagine all the stories we don't know about. I would never look down on a woman who has had an abortion but I wish some of these woman would stop and really think about the decision they are about to make......

What is your opinion on this matter and why so?? Please no hateful comments. We are all woman, we need to start uplifting each other not putting each other down.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

First, I feel that the pro life propaganda has dramatize the procedure greatly. Most abortions occur before 12 weeks. These are done through dilation and evacuation or medical (pill) abortions. There is a very small percentage of abortions that happen after this time, and out of those most of them are medically necessary.

At 12 weeks the baby is 2 inches long from crown to rump. This idea of a baby being ripped apart while screaming in pain is nothing more than a dramatization of events pulled from the imagination of pro life activists.

All that aside, I have no issue with early abortions on a personal level. I do not give a fetus the same value as a baby. I look at a fetus as a potential life. If I started down the slippery slope of fetus support, I would morally have to be against birth control as well at the very least. This is not to say that the fetus is not alive, it is, the same way that sperm is alive and the egg is alive long before they meet.

While personally I do not like the idea of abortions past the 1st trimester, I know I am with in my rights to just never have one. I would never feel comfortable living in a country that could take executive rights over anything that lives inside of my body. 

IMO abortion is just another form a birth control. It is the least pleasant, most expensive, and hardest on the body, and for me and my family would be used as infrequently as possible for those reasons.

notomatoes
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

i was pro chioce then i found myself pregnant for the first time at forty, after being told that i had been born

completely sterile. now my every waking hour is at my three year olds whim, i happen to like it that way.

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I am absolutely pro choice. I don't think I could have one myself unless it was an emergency situation but it's not my place to tell others they can't
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Loaded question.

I'm Catholic. I struggle greatly with "pro life" vs "pro choice".

Right now, when I think about abortion, I remember the following: I was in confession with my parish priest, confessing a great sin that I had committed many, many moons ago (abortion). I elaborated that I knew it was a sin (now), but couldn't honestly say that I wouldn't have done it the same, even knowing now what I know (practicing my Catholic faith), because my situation seemed so hopeless and fateful. His response and demeanor will always stay with me, and gives me great food for thought:

He looked at me very gently, put his hand over mine, and said with more kindness than I felt I deserved, "abortion is so rarely black or white".

It was a simple, but eloquent statement... and I agree with him. I wish there were another option. Something I wish more die hard pro-lifers would take into consideration when they throw out the standard "give up the baby to someone who wants a baby!" is that this is NOT always a valid option. Unlike an abortion, and adoption needs BOTH bio parents to sign off on it, otherwise the child could be ripped from the adoptive parent's arms later - how fair is that?! Especially in cases where the man is abusive (physically or mentally), chances are very slim that he would agree to an adoption because doing so would be relinquishing the control he would have over the woman, when he knows he gains MORE control with a baby in the picture.

My priest was correct - it isn't black or white. Sometimes things don't make sense. I wish there were other options. I sincerely do, with my entirety. Having been in their shoes, I understand the desperation. I can *know* abortion is wrong, but I know desperation and hopelessness too.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Are you even aware of the trial going on in Pennsylvania of Dr. Kermit Gosnell? You say Pro-Life people just make up this stuff.. There has been a trial going on for weeks about the MEDICAL COMUNITY showing PROOF of what horrible things happened in this clinic. 

And multiple places where PLANNED PARENTHOOD Endorced his behaviors!

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/13/dr-kermit-gosnells-abortion-case/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/justice/pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-trial/index.html

Quoting Kitschy:

First, I feel that the pro life propaganda has dramatize the procedure greatly. Most abortions occur before 12 weeks. These are done through dilation and evacuation or medical (pill) abortions. There is a very small percentage of abortions that happen after this time, and out of those most of them are medically necessary.

At 12 weeks the baby is 2 inches long from crown to rump. This idea of a baby being ripped apart while screaming in pain is nothing more than a dramatization of events pulled from the imagination of pro life activists.

All that aside, I have no issue with early abortions on a personal level. I do not give a fetus the same value as a baby. I look at a fetus as a potential life. If I started down the slippery slope of fetus support, I would morally have to be against birth control as well at the very least. This is not to say that the fetus is not alive, it is, the same way that sperm is alive and the egg is alive long before they meet.

While personally I do not like the idea of abortions past the 1st trimester, I know I am with in my rights to just never have one. I would never feel comfortable living in a country that could take executive rights over anything that lives inside of my body. 

IMO abortion is just another form a birth control. It is the least pleasant, most expensive, and hardest on the body, and for me and my family would be used as infrequently as possible for those reasons.

MrsCarnes88
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Pro choice... Abortion is not for me and I don't agree with some woman who use it as birth control thoes who have had multiple abortions... I believe this has to be the hardest choice any woman will make and I hope that thoes who find them selves in that situation would take extra caution not to have to make that choice again.. that being said it is a woman's choice and I don't judge u never kno what caused them to be there having to choose such a thing to each her own
Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I'm not saying bad things don't happen, I'm saying it's not the norm.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Are you even aware of the trial going on in Pennsylvania of Dr. Kermit Gosnell? You say Pro-Life people just make up this stuff.. There has been a trial going on for weeks about the MEDICAL COMUNITY showing PROOF of what horrible things happened in this clinic. 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/justice/pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-trial/index.html

Quoting Kitschy:

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I admit they don't happen in all clinics..

But I would be willing to bet THOUSANDS of dollars they happen in atleast 40% of them!

Quoting Kitschy:

I'm not saying bad things don't happen, I'm saying it's not the norm.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Quoting Kitschy:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think babies are better off in heaven than stuck in a life of abuse because they were unwanted.

Seagodess
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I have mixed feelings.

I dont think its a horrible thing to do once, or if there are extreme circumstances behind it (medical issues, rape), but I dont think it should be used as a form of birth control. If you are to dumb to not use protection and get pregnant time and time again, give it up for adoption. However that is also a very hard thing. Some people get attached to the child once its born and cant give it up. Then half the time the childs parents dont take proper care of it, so the child gets a crappy life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN