Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Pro-Life OR Pro-Choice

Options:

Pro-Life

Pro-Choice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

So, I have always had Pro-Life feelings....I just feel that these are babies being killed, or well, as some word it: terminated.

I am a very religious person, and I will admit that that has a strong influence on my opinion. But then my medical background also comes into play-- babies, as tiny as they may be or  "fetuses" are literally ripped apart and then slowly taken out of the mothers womb. Yes, that's exactly what happens. So, when people make comments about it being the woman's choice, I'mleft feeling very sad....no, in most cases these are women who are very worried about the situation that they are in....they're not married, they don't have a job or stable home among other things...but I feel they are left feeling that this is their only way out, especially when a doctor is willing to take care of the "problem" for a couple of dollars. All these articles coming out on abortion clinics should be paid attention to, the fact that the media had more coverage on the Michael Vick issue makes me wonder, and this is just what we know, can you imagine all the stories we don't know about. I would never look down on a woman who has had an abortion but I wish some of these woman would stop and really think about the decision they are about to make......

What is your opinion on this matter and why so?? Please no hateful comments. We are all woman, we need to start uplifting each other not putting each other down.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
chchchangez
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

The question is pro choice or anti choice? I'm pro-choice. Until the folks who don't believe in choice are prepared and willing to take on the well being of ALL unwanted babies (aids, crack babies, major health problems) for 18 yrs, they really don't register as pro-life to me. The concern seems to be to have the baby, not necessarily what occurs once you have that baby. Yes, some will be adopted, but look at the statistics. I've been counseling at an abortion clinic for a long time and have seem many girls "shamed" into having a baby when they themselves are on the street, addicted, and NOT willing to hand over their child to an agency regardless of living conditions. Think about it...conceptually "pro-life" goes beyond 9 mos.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all, Doctors don't do abortions for "a couple of dollars". Those things are EXPENSIVE. Anywhere from $400-$800, depending on what kind of abortion you get, where you live, etc.

Second, I highly doubt that the majority of women have an abortion without extreme consideration. It is not a decision that is made lightly, in most cases. Of course there are exceptions out there, like women who use abortion in lieu of regular birth control and have no problem with it. But I would think that most women have a hard time with coming to that decision, as it is not an easy one to make.

All that being said, I am pro-choice. I believe a woman should have the right to dictate what happens to her body and it is nobody else's business. Period.

jojo_star
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Pro-choice. I always have been, but getting pregnant made me even more so. I had a child and then an abortion, both with people close to me wanting me to make a different choice. I made my own choices and I've never had a single regret. I am the one who is living with my choices, so why should any other person in the world have had any say at all? Answer: they shouldn't have, and no one but the pregnant woman ever should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missmansmommy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Science backs up the pro-life position. Life begins at conception.

rosaleeandtwo
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
If you're in the medical field then im sure you know that's not how every abortion works. Feel however you want about abortion... but its a emotional enough topic without throwing misleading information into the debate.

I'm pro choice.
jojo_star
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This man is a murderer. What he did is not an abortion, it is murder. Of course what he did was horrible. But again, not abortion. 

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Are you even aware of the trial going on in Pennsylvania of Dr. Kermit Gosnell? You say Pro-Life people just make up this stuff.. There has been a trial going on for weeks about the MEDICAL COMUNITY showing PROOF of what horrible things happened in this clinic. 

And multiple places where PLANNED PARENTHOOD Endorced his behaviors!

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/13/dr-kermit-gosnells-abortion-case/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/justice/pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-trial/index.html

Quoting Kitschy:

First, I feel that the pro life propaganda has dramatize the procedure greatly. Most abortions occur before 12 weeks. These are done through dilation and evacuation or medical (pill) abortions. There is a very small percentage of abortions that happen after this time, and out of those most of them are medically necessary.

At 12 weeks the baby is 2 inches long from crown to rump. This idea of a baby being ripped apart while screaming in pain is nothing more than a dramatization of events pulled from the imagination of pro life activists.

All that aside, I have no issue with early abortions on a personal level. I do not give a fetus the same value as a baby. I look at a fetus as a potential life. If I started down the slippery slope of fetus support, I would morally have to be against birth control as well at the very least. This is not to say that the fetus is not alive, it is, the same way that sperm is alive and the egg is alive long before they meet.

While personally I do not like the idea of abortions past the 1st trimester, I know I am with in my rights to just never have one. I would never feel comfortable living in a country that could take executive rights over anything that lives inside of my body. 

IMO abortion is just another form a birth control. It is the least pleasant, most expensive, and hardest on the body, and for me and my family would be used as infrequently as possible for those reasons.

Coco_81
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

For me, I am pro-life, but I think people should be able to do whatever they feel is right for them.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Life is precious, I support all innocent human life, I am pro life.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I am pro life.

Saharra
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I am pro-life. Weather a woman wants the baby or not, the baby didn't choose to be concieved. Where would you be today if your parents were pro choice and they chose to abort you? How many different lives would be hit because of that one choice (a ripple effect).
I have heard if a woman is raped, why should she have to deal with his offspring. She should be allowed to make that choice. Well, I will disagree (kindly!) with that as well. Again, baby didn't choose it either. And what a strong woman that would make! She could choose to adopt him out. She could choose to keep the baby. Or she could go after the rapist because there is just a little more proof of who the dad would be there.
And I also believe that if the baby has a chance to be born with Downs or some other illness that you know is going to be rough, there is still a chance that doctors are wrong. Even if mom could die in the birthing process. For me, this was the right choice because I firmly believe what God says about the gift of life.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (Psalms 127:3 ESV)

If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night," even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you. For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! (Psalms 139:11-17 ESV)

"Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. (Isaiah 49:15 ESV)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)