Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Has anyone ever had Sciatica? (i am pregnant and have it)

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

Has anyone ever had sciatica? I am almost 14wks pregnant and was told at ER i have it. I am in a lot of pain,the worst pain ever! I was given strong pain meds but do not like the way they make me feel. It's had to walk, sit , stand.  I even peed on myself trying to make it to the bathroom :(

So to those that had it how long does it last, any pain relief ideas? thanks! 

by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

acupuncture! If you can swing it it is WELL worth it.

Yoga, keep active, lots of stretching(google stretches/exercise/yoga for sciatica)

Exercise is very important! It will help keep you loose. 

ETA mine is chronic from a 12 ft fall when I was a kid. Pregnancy made it worse but I have it well managed now.

got2monsters
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Yes I did, still have it five yrs later. Hope that's not the case with you, feel better mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I'm pregnant with my 3rd child I get it every time I'm pregnant right up until I deliver. You could try a chiropractor for others swimming helps .

petie1104
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM
It lasted all pregnancy for me. BUT, I did go to a PT who taught me stretches to help. They also have a big wrap that holds the baby's weight up that I used when it was really bad. You learn to cope and honestly, after a while you just get used to it. Hang in there, you'll be fine, but you do have to learn to suck it up a bit.
itzasmommy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Rest until the pain goes away. Also acupuncture.
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I have had it periodically for 30 years, but it was always just for just a few days, or weeks at the most. Now it is chronic, and you are right, the pain is horrible. I'm a lot older than you, so don't let me scare you, mine took a long time getting to this point. I get epidural injections several times a year, but they are not helping much anymore. The best thing I can tell you is keep up with the exercise. Even when it goes away, keep doing them. Water exercise is good too.

treystiredmommy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

i have had it with all 3 of my pregnancies.  i took a lot of hot baths.  also massage can help but honestly what i found helped the most was being conscious of how your are standing.  keep your weight even distibuted on both feet.  dont put all your weight on one foot.  it is weird to get used to doing but it helped me a lot.  and as soon as i delivered with the first two (still preggo with #3) it went away

ajzuell
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Thanks Ladies! I am thinking about trying a chiropractor.

Did any of you have to use a cane or be in a wheel chair. Seriously i can not stand straight :(

People in public look at me some look worried(asking am i ok) i look like i am about to delivery any minute, i look that bad lol.

bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Naproxen is the only thing that helps me. I have many issues with my back- sciatica is no fun! Feel better
bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Oh, I've been there. The really bad part lasts generally 3-4 days and slowly fades. I usually lean on the cart in the stores so I don't look that weird! Lol

Quoting ajzuell:

Thanks Ladies! I am thinking about trying a chiropractor.

Did any of you have to use a cane or be in a wheel chair. Seriously i can not stand straight :(

People in public look at me some look worried(asking am i ok) i look like i am about to delivery any minute, i look that bad lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN