Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone doing a garden this summer?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 26 Replies
My neighbor and my family has decided to do a garden this summer. My family is providing the space and half the garden seeds and care and they are doing most of the care and half the seeds. So far we have decided on corn, green beans, sweet peas, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers(red, green, yellow, orange) lettuce, cabbage, sun flowers(their kid's idea) an radishes.

What do you ladies put in your gardens?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

holy cow that is alot of produce for 2 families.   I am presuming that you have worked out the seeding schedule since everything has different harvests. I think sunflowers are a good border plant for a natural barrier.

Kisb323
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM
It's my family of 3 and theirs of 8. Lol. Dh and their husband have the seeding worked out. The wives are to do weeding and kids water. It should be fun. We just moved in around January and became close with them. I will get a pic soon of it. It takes up most of our back yard.

Quoting frndlyfn:

holy cow that is alot of produce for 2 families.   I am presuming that you have worked out the seeding schedule since everything has different harvests. I think sunflowers are a good border plant for a natural barrier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherine84
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM
We currently have tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers. Strawberries, blueberries, figs, apples, pears and muskiedines?. We also have tons of herbs! Next year I'm going to try carrots and corn!
C8linVilla
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

typically i do squash, corn, peas, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, zucks, cucumbers, raddish, potatoes, onions and then herbs

I LOVE lettuce. its like magic LOL takes 3 weeks to grow then you can cut it and 10-14 days later its grown back to cut again! 

This year all i have is tomatoes, carrots, corn, raddish and raspberries. my husband refuses to help me make a garden and i was 7 months pregnant no way to till and weed. But i love having the garden! its so fun

C8linVilla
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

here is my lettuce. Planted 17 days ago

star33
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

yes!my dad always has a big 1 at his house cuz he lives in the country.i wanted to do some things he wasn't. i've been bustin my butt to get all this stuff in!i've got green bell peppers,cherry tomatoes & 60 strawberry plants.lol.that's b/c some of them were dry & may not come up.

i just got a tiller & i've got to get my squash,cucumbers,blueberries,1 peach,2 apple trees & flowers.i MAY have bit off more than i can chew.i wish i would've got the freakn tiller 1st!!!

i would like to find kale & blackberries.we'll see once i get the other stuff done.

Kisb323
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

This is a pic from the kitchen window.

Can't tell much but up by the dish is where the green beans are going to be. And yesterday dh planted 25 hills or whatever you call them of potatoes. We are excited! This is our first garden. We finally got out of apartments and into a house with a large yard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kisb323
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That is their yard. It's tiny compared to ours so we agreed to spilt the work. It's basically the garage to the deck is their yard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

sugar snap peas, lettuces, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, rhubarb, raspberries, an apple tree, okra, green beans, maybe cucumbers......oh and carrots, radishes, herbs (dill,basil,lavender, rosemary, thyme, orange mint, reg mint, cilantro, parsley) and a huge variety of flowers

storkradio193
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I recently planted, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, peas and squash.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)