Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

"Redshirting" are you for or against it... AND WHY!?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 74 Replies

How do you feel about holding any child back from entering kindergarten until they are 6 instead of 5?

Do you like the idea...?

Do dislike the idea...?

I admit I did some research on this topic. And I am posting this because I have made the decision to Hold my son back a year. He will not begin formal educational activities until 6. 

Why?

Here are the real life results of Redshirting that made up my mind to hold my son back.

1. achieve academically in math and reading either at par with or above their classroom peers.
  2. have increased social confidence and popularity.
  3. require less special education services than children who were retained in kindergarten instead of redshirted.
  4. are far less likely to be singled out as children who need medications for ADHD.

With results like these who can argue that it IS in the best interest of the child to be held back one year. 

by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andersongirl562
by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM
4 moms liked this
My DD was the youngest child in her K class....she turned 5 in July. I never even questioned sending her to school...she was ready. I think not sending them isn't a good idea because K can actually help children mature and grow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the child.  Some kids just aren't ready to be in a structured school setting at 5 years old....other kids are ready even earlier.

We never held any of our kids back....not our two older daughters who were each 4 for the first month of kindergarten and not even our sons who were each born about a week before the school year and were, by far, the youngest in their classes.  But - they were ready and have always thrived.

Both of my nephews WERE held back and it was the right decision for them.  Neither were ready for school at 5 and both wild have had a horrible first year and, most likely, have had to repeat kindergarten if they had started "on time".

Carmel63
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is a parenting decision.  Sometimes it is a good idea, and sometimes it is not.  Each parent knows their kid best, hopefully makes a decision that is in their best interest.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I thought you were taking about football, lol.

If a child isn't ready,, they're not ready. I read your reasons, of you having a child with
ADHD. I can see how he may need extra help.
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
They don't start kindergarten till six here..
Britty1987
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it should be on a child by child basis. Everyone is different. I considered holding my son back a year but he really wanted to start kindergarten. He thrived so now I'm glad I sent him when I did. Next year we are homeschooling (dual enrollment) so I can't wait to be more involved in his education :)
Beauty91805
I wouldn't do that with my children. My dd went it when she was turning 5. She's in the second grade now and doing fantastic. My son will also be entering at 5.
SoKamele

Against.

It catches up with them later in elementary school. The only edge they have (really) is in K and 1st....after that.....they're catching up to everyone else.

EmmaGlenn20
by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
My daughter will be two soon and I'm already starting to research this (never too early!)
I'm struggling with the decision but like others said, it really depends so much on the individual child. I guess we'll just play it by ear and see what we think in two year's time.
MandaRose83

It completely depends on the child. My son is a July baby so he started K a month after he turned 5. I swayed back and forth on sending him but he was so far ahead academically that I worried if I held him back it would open up a new can of worms so to speak. He has had a not so good year but he also has been diagnosed with ADHD which I knew he had from the time he was a year old. Not to mention we also had problems in preschool so it wasn't just Kindergarten. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)