Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

EBT at Subway?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 28 Replies

Yesterday MIL called us and asked if we could go get her something for dinner. She is currently w/o a car since she is letting SIL use it. So on the way to her house we call and asked what she wants. She says Subway because she only has a few dollars on her EBT card. We were confused because we didn't think you could use EBT there. She insisted you could because her care taker told her. I pulled out my phone and looked online and only found mixed information. So we called one of the subways and they said no they dont take them. When we got to her house and told her she was confused. She had a guest staying the night and gave her some money for it.

So now I'm wondering... are there Subway's out there that take EBT cards?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Ive never noticed a sign. Im in NC.
lilblu399
by Tamika on May. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Most likely the cash portion OR the program that lets the homeless buy food at restaurants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kels1023
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Yes! I was in Hollywood once and I saw a subway with a sign that said "we accept ebt"

Crazy right?
I have nothing against those who need food stamps. But it's seems silly that they can use it at subway. They can also use it at Starbucks!
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I have never heard of that. I know you can use it at Papa Murphy's and Schwans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
There are some burger kings here that take them.
AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Technically, food stamps aren't supposed to be able to be used for restaurant food, but if a person receives cash assistance on their food stamp card, they can use that. I know of at least one business that pretty much doesn't care though, they let a lot of it slide. Food stamp sales make up a large portion of their business.

Snowl
by on May. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

It depends on the state you live in.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM

little caesars here takes it for their take and bake pizzas.  As others have said it may be the cash part of the card, not food part.  I would just treat her to a 6 inch since they have their monthly flavors.

Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I don't think our Subway accepts EBT Cards but other food places do.

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

In CA there are...but they are usually in low(er) income areas. The ones on the "nicer" side of my town do not accept EBT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)