Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

am I overreacting or is this legitimate (PIOG) update

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 19 Replies

So I am worried about Ds and his eating.

His normal eating pattern is
Breakfast: dry cereal sometimes with/without milk
snack: gummie snacks or yogurt, fruit etc
Lunch:chicken nuggets, top Roman, sandwich etc
snack: same as above
Dinner: homemade pasta, soup, casserole, stir fry, etc.
snack before bed: same as before
before bed cup of milk
one cup milk during the night and repeat

currently of last two days
wake up
couple bits of crackers or any foods other then candy
doesn't eat anything till 3 but its like a snack size gummie bears or cup of chips nothing big
then milk

I want to add at this point his milk is more a comfort thing, I've tried so hard to take it away but it would be like taking the blanket away. Also he has had at least one bowel movement a day so far. Is three days too soon to call and get doctor involved or should I wait the weekend?

Update: for the ladies saying veggies "are" an issue, he has a spinal defect that could be related to his constipation. I give him veggies mixed with fruit in the packs you get at the store in the baby isle. He likes corn which doesnt cause too much of a problem. He has an occisional carrot or two. I also give salad at dinner. 99% of the time he doesnt them plain they have to be mixed in fruit, i plan To make my own once we move and are stable.
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
How old? And fever or congestion with in nose or coughing?
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Almost 4 yrs and none of the above.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

How old? And fever or congestion with in nose or coughing?

calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
He might be in a lull following a growth spurt. Keep offering healthy foods and as long as he is eliminating and hydrated, he will likely get back on track in a couple of days.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

somes like a normal kid thing they go through eating cycles...unless it goes on for 3 or 4 weeks with out a normal eating day I wouldn't worry

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Side note, I know this wasn't asked about, but I have to say something. Never give a child milk in bed, only water after teeth brushing, thats horrible for his teeth, they will rot right through. I urge you to look for more nutricious options for him then ramen, chicken nuggets, and pasta, it sounds like he's not getting many vegetables and is getting a lot of carbs and unhealthy foods. As for his eating, he might just have gotten over a growth spurt and isn't hungry. To make up for it, when he is hungry only offer healthy snacks, not candy and chips, so hes getting the nutrition to make up for what hes not eating. I would wait it out until the week and then schedule a doctors appointment. How old is he. 

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I can't give him veggies often they constipate him, he doesn't always get chips and chicken nuggets and romen it was an example. As for the milk I've tried removing it many many many times. Unless you decide to come sleep at my house and take care of Ds you can take the milk away. Please don't tell me about the effects of milk because I really do already know them.

Quoting lenashark:

Side note, I know this wasn't asked about, but I have to say something. Never give a child milk in bed, only water after teeth brushing, thats horrible for his teeth, they will rot right through. I urge you to look for more nutricious options for him then ramen, chicken nuggets, and pasta, it sounds like he's not getting many vegetables and is getting a lot of carbs and unhealthy foods. As for his eating, he might just have gotten over a growth spurt and isn't hungry. To make up for it, when he is hungry only offer healthy snacks, not candy and chips, so hes getting the nutrition to make up for what hes not eating. I would wait it out until the week and then schedule a doctors appointment. How old is he. 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I gladly would if I could, its really not good for him. If you know the effects, why do you still give it to him?

Quoting Bookoholic:

I can't give him veggies often they constipate him, he doesn't always get chips and chicken nuggets and romen it was an example. As for the milk I've tried removing it many many many times. Unless you decide to come sleep at my house and take care of Ds you can take the milk away. Please don't tell me about the effects of milk because I really do already know them.

Quoting lenashark:

sissyboogs
by Katie on May. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

He's 4? Sounds normal. 

My kids are 3 and 5, and they both go in phases where they'll eat like they can't get enough and then all of a sudden they don't eat hardly anything. And, I've noticed with it getting warmer, neither of them are eating near as much as they did in the winter (which makes perfect sense when you think about it). 

Just make sure he's staying hydrated and offer healthy choices when he does want to eat. If he's not allergic to nuts, trail mix is actually a pretty decent snack. Bits of candy for immediate energy, then nuts for protein and sustained energy. Plus, you can buy the kind that has dried cranberries in it (YUMMY)! 

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Because at this point its more about the comfort of knowing that won't change when at any givin time everything around us does, we have been homeless off and on his whole life. We have only stayed in one place for more then a yr. If you changed locations as often as a week you might give into things your normally wouldn't. Because he still wakes up from sleep apnea and he gets scared, he doesn't need the milk all night but once which is around midnight. But again its a comfort thing. Will my next child get milk after a yr old if breastfed which I plan to do.

Quoting lenashark:

I gladly would if I could, its really not good for him. If you know the effects, why do you still give it to him?

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting lenashark:

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Give him another comfort thing, a stuffed animal, something that won't rot his teeth through and cause him to need extensive dental surgery by the age of ten.

Quoting Bookoholic:

Because at this point its more about the comfort of knowing that won't change when at any givin time everything around us does, we have been homeless off and on his whole life. We have only stayed in one place for more then a yr. If you changed locations as often as a week you might give into things your normally wouldn't. Because he still wakes up from sleep apnea and he gets scared, he doesn't need the milk all night but once which is around midnight. But again its a comfort thing. Will my next child get milk after a yr old if breastfed which I plan to do.

Quoting lenashark:

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting lenashark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)