Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
Momofmenagerie
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM
4 moms liked this
We're you put on by doctor's supervision?

I'm trying to say that if those of us on anxiety meds or pain meds do not do it safely, it is very easy to fall to a different anxiety "med" ,easier to procure and more socially accepted. However if you in particular are weaning off without dr supervision, you are hiding something.

I'm not against drinking... But if you have to ask.......

Quoting AlohaTink:

I didn't wean off under a doctors supervision.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

I want to reply but I can't go anon........ 

You could be and so could I............

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom never got drunk either. She is an alcoholic. She drank to deal with her life, lack of ambition, that she hated being a single mom and the list goes on and on. She drank until this past Feb. when her doctor flat out told her it was likely a contributor to her breast cancer. But this was after years if us showing concern for her and the multiple times my teen son had to walk her home because she had too many to drive and couldn't find her keys that he had moved 3 inches from where they had been.

So, if you are drinking to deal with your life, you might not be an alcoholic but you might be on your way.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

AlohaTink
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Yes I was on celexa for 2 years. I decided to get off of it because I'm sick of the side effects. I've gained 70lbs in 2 years and my sex life is on life support (my poor dh lol). I took a 3 day weekend to stop taking it and see what happened. That was a month ago. How am I "hiding" anything?

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

We're you put on by doctor's supervision?

I'm trying to say that if those of us on anxiety meds or pain meds do not do it safely, it is very easy to fall to a different anxiety "med" ,easier to procure and more socially accepted. However if you in particular are weaning off without dr supervision, you are hiding something.

I'm not against drinking... But if you have to ask.......

Quoting AlohaTink:

I didn't wean off under a doctors supervision.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM

A drink now and then does not make you an alcoholic. However, if you are polishing off a bottle of liquor every 2-3 days, then it's time to worry. If not, don't worry too much. Alcoholics are never aware that there is an issue. They think they are fine until they are polishing off a bottle a day, plus a few beers, and some wine. You are having a drink to relax. 

JessM311
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM
It's only problem when it starts negatively effected your life.
mommy_dearest_
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Where in Tennessee do you live? I live in union city

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

if you have to ask, you are.

NDADanceMom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM
3 moms liked this
If you need it, its a problem. Stop for a few weeks. If you can't or its really hard? You have an addiction. Alcoholism isn't about a measurement of how much its about WHY. It's about your attitude.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

The moment you say the words, "I need the drink to (fill in blank here)"...........Yes, you are an alcoholic.

Alcoholics are notorious for the excuses on WHY they want or need the the drink. Dont matter if you get drunk or if you only go through a bottle every few days.

As for you weaning yourself from the anxiety meds, you need to include your dr on that one. Those drugs are not meant to just stop taking. Tell your dr of the side effects you dont like, try a new med or have the help of the dr to get you off them completely.

There is no need to go through any of this alone, btw. Please make an appt with your dr and tell him what you have told us.

I wish you luck momma.

je80ss
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM

You know you are an alcoholic when you can't stop or when you get withdrawl symptoms when you do stop. But then again, alot of alcoholics cannot admit they have a problem or even recognize the problem.  

Withdrawal Symptoms:

Mild to moderate psychological symptoms:

• Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
  • Feeling of shakiness
  • Anxiety
  • Irritability or easily excited
  • Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • Difficulty with thinking clearly
  • Bad dreams

Mild to moderate physical symptoms:

• Headache - general, pulsating
  • Sweating, especially the palms of the hands or the face
  • Nausea and Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Insomnia, sleeping difficulty
  • Paleness
  • Rapid heart rate (palpitations)
  • Eyes, pupils different size (enlarged, dilated pupils)
  • Skin, clammy
  • Abnormal movements
  • Tremor of the hands
  • Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids

Severe symptoms:

This information is found at: http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm

I did find this site too if you want to enter some quick info: http://www.alcoholscreening.org/Home.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN