Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
BeiberHATER
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Smoke weed, it's better for nerves.

LilliesValley
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

If you can't go without a week or if you would have had a huge hissy fit over not having any tonight, then yeah, you may be down a dangerous road. The calming your nerves thing bothers me too. See how you react from not drinking for a few weeks and that should tell you. If you have no control or are losing it the prospects aren't good.

AlohaTink
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I abhor the use of illegal drugs.

Quoting BeiberHATER:

Smoke weed, it's better for nerves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Murfreesboro :)

Quoting mommy_dearest_:

Where in Tennessee do you live? I live in union city

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM
If you have to ask, you probably are.
Budterfly
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM

The fact that you are concerned and monitoring your own behavior is a great start. Maybe do talk to a professional about what is going on for you. It does not seem yet, that there is a problem, but you are worried, so it might put you at ease to talk to a prof couselor. Maybe, that professional could help you to set some healthy boundaries with your behavior (in regard to drinking), so that if you do have a drink- you know it is ok- and you do not have to feel guilty about it... because if you are worrying and feeling guilty now- it really isn't helping you- is it?

Good luck!

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Do you need it to get through the day? Can you go without it?
Budterfly
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM

oh...and I do not in any way mean to sound judgmental. I lived with an alcoholic for years. You do not sound like one to me...and i am just trying to offer you my support. :)

Aamy
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Alcoholics don't always drink to get drunk. They drink so they think they can function. I think you're headed down a road to it yea. Stop using it as a crutch. Find a different way to"help your nerves". Go for a walk, get a good book. Find something other then alcohol.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

I want to reply but I can't go anon........ 

You could be and so could I............

im_not_trollin
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

4 drinks a week isn't bad...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)