Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
legobaby
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I have always heard that a sign of alcoholism is that you feel you need it to change your mood, which it sounds like you are doing.

However, 4 drinks a week is less than some non alcoholics like to have. I would think you're OK as long as that one drink to calm you down doesn't turn into 2-3 drinks or more every time. If you start to feel like you need more to feel OK, then it's a problem.
ShadowWaters
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM

It's not necessarily how much a person drinks that makes them an alcoholic; it's why they drink and if they can control their drinking. Ask yourself do you think you are drinking for the wrong reasons? (ie to feel better in a way you can't without alcohol) If you didn't have alcohol could you figure out how to feel better or would it make you feel worse? Do you think about drinking constantly? Is drinking cause any negative consequence in your life? Decide if those are acceptable answers for yourself. If they aren't then yes maybe you have a problem and should do something about it.

LowryCuisine
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Do you feel that you can not calm down/survive the day without your drink? If your hubby was to forget an the store closed would you panic? I have moments where I drink entire bottles of wine and wonder where did it go but then I have times where I have one drink or none at all but I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic. I know what one looks like and I refuse to ever be one.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Get a anxiety prescription from your dr. or look into l-theanine it's a natural anxiety check with your dr. before taking or your pharmacist. drinking leaves you headaches, bloated and sink.

twogirl91
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I have never tasted alcohol in my life, I find other ways to deal with stress and actually like to enjoy my life instead of living the whole thing drunk. 

Osstie
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM

You need to ask yourself some questions:

Has your life become unmanageable?

Are you able to have the amount of drinks you tell yourself you want and then stop?

There is a very distinct line between heavy drinking and alcoholism. Go to a meeting if you feel the need!

Osstie
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Well! Look at you, all superior! Thanks for letting us know!

bow down

Quoting twogirl91:

I have never tasted alcohol in my life, I find other ways to deal with stress and actually like to enjoy my life instead of living the whole thing drunk. 

bad_mama2011
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Someone said because I like to have a beer when I come home from work to wind down once in a while I'm an alcoholic, but I don't have to have it and I don't remember the last time I had a beer. I'm pregnant right now, but even before then I didn't drink often and I didn't drink too much when I did drink.

IntactivistMama
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Take up knitting or crocheting...
la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'm no expert on this subject but I would say that's not a good sign if you feel like you need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN