Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Ok I am going to state my answer at risk of getting eaten alive. You asked. Yes, i believe you are. If you are worried there is a problem then there is likely a problem. Quit it for a week. See how your mood gets. If you get pissed at the drop of a hat then there's your answer.
Caramel824
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I've been drinking for YEARS!!in my younger years I DrUNK,now I got responsibilities SO I SIP.LMAO,so if I could be an alcoholic I would,
Ali5683
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

If you have to ask, then yes.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

The best course of action now will be to see a therapist.  If you can't afford a therapist, it might help to attend a local AA meeting and learn about free resources available in your community.  These resources can help you analyze your drinking, why you are drinking, and if there are better ways to handle it.  

No, a nightcap here and there in stressful times does NOT make someone an alcoholic.  It may not be the best coping method, but I have seen many people go a week or two taking in some extra drink and then find their way to better solutions.  I know folks who barely drink all winter, but end up with at least 3 beers a night every day of summer thanks to BBQs.  

But if YOU suspect there is a problem, then there probably is and you will benefit from professional help.  It isn't how much you are consuming now, it is how much you will consume in the future.  If it is your only coping method, it could become a problem.  If you felt jittery, worried, anxious, etc that DH might not make it to the store in time, there might be a problem.  But if your gut tells you this is going to take you down a bad path, listen.

Matriarch87
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
getting to attached to alcohol is a dangerous path but even if you felt the "need" to have a drink everynight that doesnt make you an alcoholic, although it is a sign that something is wrong.

alcohokism is very simply defined as an inability to control ones consumption, abusing the alcohol, over indulging regularly and feeling as though you must.

if you can stop and if you arny over indulging that is in no way shape or form alcoholism.

Matriarch87
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
careful whos asvice you pay attention to. I once posted about me having a nightcap on a regular basis and people were inboxing me about my "alcoholism". I just prefer more often than not to have a drink as I relax before bed. to think im an alcoholic for that is insane.
tansyflower
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

did you have good results with the l-theanine?  i stopped taking my xanax (that stuff is no good for you) and am still struggling with anxiety.

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Get a anxiety prescription from your dr. or look into l-theanine it's a natural anxiety check with your dr. before taking or your pharmacist. drinking leaves you headaches, bloated and sink.

RyansMom001
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

No one mixed drink several times a week doesn't make you an alcoholic.

Are you getting drunk?  Are you unable to manage your responsibilities?  Are you hiding your drinking?  Or setting up boundaries to keep your drinking in line, such as, 'I'll only drink after this time, or I'll only drink when .....'

If the answer is no to these questions, enjoy.  I love a cocktail or a glass of wine from time to time.

heybooboo
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Thats a tough call.

I wouldn't say you are, based off of what you shared.

In a large number of countries, its customary to drink daily.  It's not considered excessive to polish off a bottle of wine every night, or several beers.  As long as you can still function and the drinking doesnt inhibit you, then there isn't concern.

But in the US more and more are quick to label one an alcoholic if they drink more than just occasionally.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Imo you are well on your way to becoming one, if not already one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN