Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ashworth College anyone? Especially military spouses

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone taken classes through them? Have you heard good or bad things?

I'm wanting to get back into school, but we only have one car so actually going to a campus every day isn't really an option. And none of the local colleges offer what I want as an online option.

***Please do not recommend University of Phoenix. I had been signed up with them a few years back and they completely dropped me with no notice and to this day I still haven't been able to get a response as to why. They are a joke.
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhitneyRawks
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Kaplan University--Online. It's where I go. I LOVE it!! If you decide to go with them, take a writing class with Teresa Kelly. Will. Change. Your. Life.
opal10161973
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Kaplan is a joke, do not even consider them, they are a rip off.  See if you can find an accredited college in your area or one you are familiar with and use them.  I mean one YOU know for a fact as a brick and mortar with a good reputation.

pookie4907
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I have looked at the colleges in my area. They don't offer what I want. I'm very limited on local colleges. I live on Oahu.

Quoting opal10161973:

Kaplan is a joke, do not even consider them, they are a rip off.  See if you can find an accredited college in your area or one you are familiar with and use them.  I mean one YOU know for a fact as a brick and mortar with a good reputation.

WhitneyRawks
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Why are they a joke?? They are completely accredited. I went to them for my associates, went to a real college for my BSN, and now am back at Kaplan again for another associates. All credits transferred. Everything.

Quoting opal10161973:

mrsary
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:23 AM
Try Troy University online.
Lil_Wolf
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I am currently taking classes through Ashworth College & I am very happy with them. They work with your pay schedule & are very nice. I have no complaints. If you set your account for auto pay, get a discount. They have forums where students can talk to each other about their field of study & help each other. I love it!

WhitneyRawks
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Also, I can tell you that if they don't accept a FASFA, they aren't legit. Financial Aid is key to knowing if its a good school or not. If they don't accept it, no good.
bellawomen
by Summer on May. 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
And make sure it is a legit accrediting organization not an organization created by the institution to accredit itself. How this is still legal blows my mind, but happens with a LOT of online schools. They are accredited, but not by trusted accrediting organizations.

Quoting opal10161973:

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Look into Columbia College, based out of Columbia,MO. Ccis.edu
They're who I went through because they had a small campus on the military base we lived on. They've been awesome.
opal10161973
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

None of the credits I got there transferred for either the local state college or the university here. 

When I was going there, I tried to withdraw from my class and sent the advisor several emails.  I never got a response, so I then sent one out to the department head and I finally got a response.  He stated that my advisor was no longer working there and no one was checking her emails anymore.  He said there was nothing that could be done and that my withdrawal didn't go through in time.  I asked him if they could make an exception in my case and he refused.  SO, I got an F, when I should have had a W there.  My GPA was fuked.  It took me forever to get it back up at the college here and I had to be on academic appeal for a year, just to get aid.  The only reason I even took a 3000 level course, which I wasn't even suited to take as it was only my second semester, was because of that advisor and I was not remotely ready for it. 

I spoke with the people at my financial aid office here and they said they had seen it several times before- where Kaplan had done this to students.  They only care about the money and the students?- not at all.  I am glad that you had a good experience there, but it is not the norm.

Quoting WhitneyRawks:

Why are they a joke?? They are completely accredited. I went to them for my associates, went to a real college for my BSN, and now am back at Kaplan again for another associates. All credits transferred. Everything.

Quoting opal10161973:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN