Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you had to slaughter your own animals, would you still eat meat? Poll included

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you still eat meat if you had to look the animal in the eye and kill it your self?

Options:

yep, I sure would. I gotta have my meat

Hell no! Veggies here I come! lol

Other - please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Would you still eat meat if you had to look the animal in the eye and kill it yourself?

My sister in law asked me that question and I thought it was intriguing.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
JacksMom1221
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM
No. We're transitioning to be vegetarians though so we don't eat much meat anymore anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Quoting BigMamaStacy:

Yes I would. See, you don't have to look it in the eyes. You can sneak up behind it or something. lol. But seriously, I would slaughter my own meat. It's healthier that way anyways.

frillyflower
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Yep. Helloooooo growing up in the country lol.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yes I would since i most likely would know more about the conditions in which it was raised rather than the anon. meat suppliers in stores.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Yup, I've caught fish and eaten it the same day. I'm a meat eater, what can I say.
Farmlady09
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I raise rabbits, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and pigs for meat. Our animals are born on the property and die on the property. We handle them from birth until after death.

I wouldn't buy/eat meat from a store if they were handing it out for free, or if someone else bought it for me.

My animals live naturally. They have both sunny grass and shade under trees to lounge in. They have food that is appropriate and healthy ... and doesn't come in sacks. They run to me daily, sit on my lap, follow me around, and they aren't given drugs or poison. They have one bad second that they aren't aware is coming or fear. I work my butt off to keep them healthy, safe, and happy ... and I am thankful for each one of them. I've never liked that bad second and I doubt I'll ever get used to it, but for me it's a far better alternative than factory farmed meat OR veggies hauled in from far away places that kill more animals than I do in their production and transportation. I grow my veggies and fruit as well if that matters (along with a good bit that goes right to the animals). About the only thing I can get dinged for are coffee, cocoa, and a few spices I can't grow in my climate.

megz0511
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I looked my deer in the eye before I killed it. She was delicious. Lol. I've also met my cow before sending her off to slaughter too. Seems silly to me though. If you had to raise your own veggies from seeds would you still eat them? Kinda the same thing. I'd also love to raise chickens for meat and eggs but chickens stink and there's no way lol
Pink_Frog
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I grew up in hte country and seen my uncles kill a pig several times. My FIL also raises cows and that's where we get our beef. He has chickens that I've helped clean. I've went duck hunting too with a ex years ago. Rule was, you kill it, you clean it, so that was a interesting day. Fish too, clean them.

sfkdny
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

no way

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I remember the first time I ate a cow that I had watched die. I didn't kill it because I was about 5 and my mom had this funny thing about not trusting me to handle a loaded shotgun and do it the right way. It was delicious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)