Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

just making sure this is normal...

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

so my daughter is 6 mo and yesterday we started solids.  we gave her avocado yesterday and banana today.  she made faces like both were gross and kept pushing them out of her mouth -  though she pushed the avocado out more than the banana.  she even sucked on the banana a little bit when i put it in one of those feeder things that look like giant pacifiers.

i know not all babies are immediately in love with solid foods and i know it's possible that since she is still pushing the food out, she might not be ready.  which is why i'm not panicing and just giving her tastes now.  anyway just want to know if this is typical of first solid food experiences?  if it is, how long does this last?  any suggestions?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
outtamymynd
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM
It can take them a few times to get the hang of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylaybaby666
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Try the pureed baby foods
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Their first foods need to be at a soupy consistency very liquidy just like formula or breast milk.  Since she is pushing goods out, that is a good sign to take a break and try again in a few weeks.

KyBugsMommy815
by on May. 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM

We started DD on liquidy baby cereal at first, and even then it took her a few tries to get the hang of it. She probably needs foods that are more liquid to start out with. Stage one jarred baby foods, or if you prefer to make your own add formula/breastmilk, or a bit of water to the bananas or avocados maybe? You could even go buy a stage one jarred food to look at the consistency, if you wanted to make your own.

schultzal
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM
3 moms liked this

First foods do not need to be soupy.

What you are doing is often called "baby-led weaning." Avocado and banana are great first foods.

It sounds like she has not yet lost the tongue thrust, which means she likely is not ready for solid foods. 

Here is some information on BLW and the signs of readiness for solid food: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm#.UZc5-aUSYUU

tigerstripes12
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

thanks for the advice ladies.  i had added a tad bit of formula but i didn't mix it in very well so it didn't really change the consistancy.  i'll have to give that a try.  i mostly did it to see if the smell and familiar taste would entice her.  the next day, after posting this question, she took to both the banana and avocado a little bit better.  i find that if i just touch it to her lips or put a teensy bit (though it was a tiny bit to begin with) she now lets it in her mouth, pulls her lower lip in, and holds it in there.  she must be swallowing too because she's getting less of it on her chin and bib!

i'd heard of tongue thrust being a sign that babies aren't ready but i really didn't know if she was still doing that until i tried to feed her.  so for another week or so i'll probably keep doing what i'm doing... putting stuff to her lips and letting her decide if she wants to lick/taste it or not.  she likes stuffing the top of a banana in her mouth and just playing with it with her tongue lol  it's encouraging that when i've held the spoon up a few times, she's gotten excited, opened her mouth wide, and reached for my hand trying to pull it close.  so i think she's liking the taste, just not getting the whole eating/swallowing thing.

i'll take all the advice and give her a little more time.

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Try giving her small pieces of banana or avocado on her high chair tray and let her feed herself.
trainlady
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

First off it is typical. Second avocado has a very strong taste for a baby just coming off of formula. Back off the avocado for a while or mix it with something else that she likes that will cover the taste. You might like avocado but to a baby it has a very strong unpleasant taste. Keep going forward with the banana, also slices of peaches, pears, apple sauce and things that are sweet and pleasant to the taste for a while. Depending on the child it may take a few weeks or months. No set formula for the date and time it takes to transfer them to solid food. And watch for allergies or for some foods they can't digest and either throw up or poop out in diarrhea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)