Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you think of a person who weighs... *EDIT*

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 84 Replies

Poll

Question: Does the number on your scale cause you to behave differently in day to day life than you would if you DIDN'T know how much you weighed?

Options:

Yes, I keep the number in the back of my mind at all times.

Yes, sometimes. Especially where clothing or new/uncomfortable social situations are concerned.

No/Rarely, the number means less than how I physically feel.

Not at all. I'm totally fine with the number of pounds I weigh/I don't care how much I weigh.

It doesn't change my behavior, but I'm not happy with my weight/actively trying to change my weight.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 134

View Results

*EDIT* I'm not saying that anyone is mean to anyone else just because of their weight. In fact, I'm not saying you judge people when you're out and about. I'm SAYING, we all have preconceived notions of what it means to be 100lbs, 200lbs, 300 or more pounds. I've struggled with weight all my life and I'm not about to actually TREAT someone differently. But because of how pervasive media's influence is and my own less than stellar experiences with people who typical fit into a certain category, my brain goes into automatic defense mode with some and not others. 

I have ideas of what a person's life is like at certain 'levels' of pounds. We all do. 

I just read an article about the way we sort of assign ideas about a certain poundage and the people that number applies to. I'm curious about what you moms think of it, too, because I realized that I had some of my own ideas about different "levels" of pounds.

What would you assume about a woman weighing 100lbs? 200lbs? 300lbs? 

Do you think your IDEA about your own weight limits you in your life (not health/weight related issues that are quantifiable, but how you THINK you should be because of this number on your scale)?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaBeezandMe
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I really can't answer the poll because no I'm not happy with the number on the scale but at the same time it DOES NOT make me behave differently!

My weight loss is a work in progress and I am working on being a smaller me everyday!  Currently down 30+ lbs!  :)

Could you add that option??

Hugs, Jeanne

Come follow me on my weight loss journey at http://livingcleanin2013.blogspot.com/

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I'll go ahead and start! If I were to try and describe a woman that I knew nothing more about than that she weighed 100 lbs, I'd probably say she was very active, exercised regularly, has no more than one child and enough leisure time to take care of herself. Shamefully, I do have a stereotype that women who are very slender are typically less open to different people, less friendly, and generally think of themselves as somehow 'better' than other women.

Since I'm closer to the 200 range than I am 100 or 300, I think of your average woman who is no more or less secure than any other, that may or may not be friendly, probably does NOT have the best eating habits or enough leisure time to take care of herself like she'd like. She's probably a little on the lazy side or possibly too tired to fit in more activity where she can.

Again, shamefully, the 300lb mark is something that calls up words like 'slob' and 'lazy', even though I KNOW this isn't true. You can be a slob or lazy at any weight. That number, 300, says a diet of junk food and t.v. I think of someone who's probably depressed, probably doesn't have a significant other and that also probably doesn't even give an effort at caring for herself. I KNOW that these ideas are untrue because I watched my own mother, my beautiful, vibrant, hard working mother battle weight. She came close to 400lbs and I always saw her as radiant. She did have gastric bypass after years of diet after diet and consistant exercise failed and she's just was just as beautiful then to me as she is now.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to show my husband this scale. I'm not proud of it but I have a form of an eating disorder. DH and my doctor work together so I never see a scale. Only time I'm allowed on a scale is at the doctors office. Maybe if I show him I'll do this to the scale I can have a scale again. I miss having a scale to step on every day. Please do not bash.

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

I really can't answer the poll because no I'm not happy with the number on the scale but at the same time it DOES NOT make me behave differently!

My weight loss is a work in progress and I am working on being a smaller me everyday!  Currently down 30+ lbs!  :)

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Option added! And congrats! I'm working on my weight, too. I was down 30lbs last November and the winter and I don't make the best of friends... I gained six lbs back, but I've already lost those in just two weeks of being more careful about food and exercising three evenings a week. :) Best of luck on getting to your goal weight! 

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If it's just that you miss stepping on a scale, how about getting a scale, painting over the glass part that shows the poundage and writing in your goal weight. That way, every time you step on the scale, it tells you exactly what you'd like to see and you get the 'feel' of stepping on a scale. :) Of course, discuss these options with both your husband and your doctor! 

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

I have to show my husband this scale. I'm not proud of it but I have a form of an eating disorder. DH and my doctor work together so I never see a scale. Only time I'm allowed on a scale is at the doctors office. Maybe if I show him I'll do this to the scale I can have a scale again. I miss having a scale to step on every day. Please do not bash.

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

BUMP!

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

BUMP!

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

BUMP!

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I don't worry about what someone else weighs..........My SO likes me the way I am and that's all that matters.  I don't care what other people think about my weight either.  Why would what someone else weighs matter to anyone else anyway?

lyranightshade
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I'm not saying you sit around and think about how much that person in front of you at the gas station weighed. I'm talking about the stereotypes we have about a number on a scale. We ALL assume something about the person who's scale says a certain number. I was curious if the assumptions we make are fairly consistent across the board, do they differ by geography, or the age of the woman? How common is it that the number on the scale, NOT how you feel PHYSICALLY, limits a woman's life?

Quoting Texascandee:

I don't worry about what someone else weighs..........My SO likes me the way I am and that's all that matters.  I don't care what other people think about my weight either.  Why would what someone else weighs matter to anyone else anyway?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)