Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Coming home from the store! They didn't hit the ground, but the sirens were going off! 

Tornado season is here in Oklahoma! 

Now there's one on the ground like 4 miles from us! 

This is what it looks like across the street from us. Isn't it beautiful? That big cloud to the right produced a tornado, the other one is to the east of us and I can't get a pic. 

Holy crap! An F4 tornado is on the ground. They're telling people leave their homes and out run the storm. That's just insane! I pray for the people in those towns that they stay safe and find a safe place to stay!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
hemlockprimrose
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting celestegood:

:( be safe!!! I think you all have had enough tornados to last a lifetime.

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

I'm in sw Missouri (Springfield) and I dread it hitting us!

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Storms are heading our way, we are south west MO.. have been watching the weather channel and keeping an eye on local news.. weather channel was showing live footage of the tornado's tuching down some crazy shit 

I'M in Joplin.. and looks like we are under a Tornado watch till 1 am for now :( ....

Thanks you too, we sure have.. the tornado that went through a few  years ago. we were in Kansas City at the ball game, then I started getting text messages that a Tornado ripped through.. we were about 2 miles from where in went through..We had 2 friends killed.. 

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting bbybby91:

DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN THE STORM! It is best to stay inside your home! A house is more protection than a car!

Yeah, that's the usual advise. However this tornado was so big they said if you couldn't get underground, to leave. To quote the weatherman 

"this tornado is going to wipe Carney off the map"

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
celestegood
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. So many people lost loved ones in that tornado.
Two of my close friends are paramedics, and they went on the run when Joplin was asking for medical professionals to help.
It was nothing short of a miracle that anyone survived that.

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Storms are heading our way, we are south west MO.. have been watching the weather channel and keeping an eye on local news.. weather channel was showing live footage of the tornado's tuching down some crazy shit 

I'M in Joplin.. and looks like we are under a Tornado watch till 1 am for now :( ....

Thanks you too, we sure have.. the tornado that went through a few  years ago. we were in Kansas City at the ball game, then I started getting text messages that a Tornado ripped through.. we were about 2 miles from where in went through..We had 2 friends killed.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hemlockprimrose
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Quoting celestegood:

Two of my close friends are paramedics, and they went on the run when Joplin was asking for medical professionals to help.

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Thank you, I can not even try to explain what it was like.. and I was not even in the tornado.. but to be so close.. and the scary thing is.. I work nights from 6pm to 6am and normally I leave the house about 5;20pm and go right down Main Street .. and I would of went through where the tornado hit.. I live on the south side of town and work on the north side of town.. so If I would of went to work that evening I would of drove right through.. and they say there was NO warning.. I have to ask my self.. would I have left earlier??? or not leave at all.. The day shift already worked 12 hours.. and I was her only relief.. 

bbybby91
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I followed the storm on radar and live feeds online... I am an avid weather fanatic and my area of expertise is tornadoes. I don't think the tornado was quite that strong. But a car is the worse possible place to be

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Quoting bbybby91:

DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN THE STORM! It is best to stay inside your home! A house is more protection than a car!

Yeah, that's the usual advise. However this tornado was so big they said if you couldn't get underground, to leave. To quote the weatherman 

"this tornado is going to wipe Carney off the map"

celestegood
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM
So, so scary. Happy you didn't, though.
You know, there are people who called into work at the WTC, and they had no idea that what they were doing would save their lives.
Pretty amazing if you think about it.

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting hemlockprimrose:

Thank you, I can not even try to explain what it was like.. and I was not even in the tornado.. but to be so close.. and the scary thing is.. I work nights from 6pm to 6am and normally I leave the house about 5;20pm and go right down Main Street .. and I would of went through where the tornado hit.. I live on the south side of town and work on the north side of town.. so If I would of went to work that evening I would of drove right through.. and they say there was NO warning.. I have to ask my self.. would I have left earlier??? or not leave at all.. The day shift already worked 12 hours.. and I was her only relief.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xixCandyxix
by Candy on May. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

That's a tornado? It's not how I imagined one. Doesn't look angry enough...

cox3
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Cool. Stay safe. I saw a tornado spout over water once.
Cubanmom84
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

That's crazy, I have been through earthquakes, level 5 hurricanes ... and tornado warnings, just warnings, and I think I am terrefied of tornadoes more than any others.

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Quoting xixCandyxix:

That's a tornado? It's not how I imagined one. Doesn't look angry enough...

No, that's just rotation. The big cloud to the right produced a tornado though, within seconds of me taking this picture. 

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)