Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

37 now 51 confirmed dead on Moore OK, 7 were children, and they expect to find more...

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 35 Replies

7 pm: 37 dead after tornado tears through Moore, Okla.

Posted on: 5:24 pm, May 20, 2013, by  and updated on: 07:27pm, May 20, 2013

Tornado

MOORE, Okla. — A massive tornado leveled miles of homes, businesses, and schools Monday afternoon and emergency response teams were on the ground, trying to find the survivors.

As many as 37 people are dead and that number is only expected to rise.

LIVE BLOG: Deadly Moore, Okla., tornado

KFOR-TV reported people were pulling students from a classroom at an elementary school. At one school, 75 students were inside at the time of the twister, but were amazingly safe and accounted for.

WATCH LIVE: Desktop users click here | Mobile/tablet users click here

Sadly, rescue efforts were halted at another school that was damaged, where there’s believed to be as many as 24 children dead. Around 6:30 p.m., officials said they pulled the bodies of seven children were drowned in the school’s basement.

“People are trapped. You are going to see the devastation for days to come,” Betsy Randolph, spokeswoman for Oklahoma Highway Patrol, told CNN after a tornado hit the Oklahoma City area on Monday afternoon. She did not say how many people were trapped. “Send your prayers heavenward because there are people fighting for their lives.”

The National Weather Services predicted a preliminary rating of at least EF-4 (166 to 200 mph).

Oklahoma City area was hammered by EF5 tornado in 1999

Monday afternoon’s devastating tornado in the Oklahoma City suburbs brought to mind a May 1999 E5 twister that killed 36 people and smashed some of the same communities.

On May 3, 1999, a total of 74 tornadoes pummeled Kansas and Oklahoma, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The states counted a total of 46 dead. Thirty-six died in Oklahoma City.

The strongest tornado, rated a maximum EF5 on the Fujita Tornado Scale, tracked for nearly an hour and a half along a 38-mile path from Chickasha through south Oklahoma City and the suburbs of Bridge Creek, Newcastle, Moore, Midwest City and Del City. west City and Del City.

Monday’s tornado in Oklahoma city, with a preliminary rating of E4, also struck Moore and Newcastle.

According to the National Weather Service’s Storm Prediction Center, the 1999 Oklahoma City twister was among the costliest in U.S. history, with damage totaling at $1 billion.

The second deadliest tornado in the Oklahoma City area occurred on June 12, 1942, with 35 residents killed.

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Bump

TrouserMouse
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

7 drowned in standing water in the lower part of the school and 20-30 so far are children of the 50 something confirmed dead now.  :(

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

7 drowned in standing water in the lower part of the school and 20-30 so far are children of the 50 something confirmed dead now.  :(

Oh my God :(

ive been crying non stop since i heard. Those poor babies, and their parents...I just can't even begin express my grief for them. 

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
:-( why don't schools have storm shelters?
opinionatedmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Count is now 51
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
It's up to 51 now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_simss
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is so sad...the only thing I am wondering is why people sent their children to school knowing there were tornados. I will admit I have lived in Colorado for pretty much my entire life and I have never once had to deal with a tornado so I am ignorant on the subject. Are schools supposed to be safe or something? Not trying to offend anyone just trying to understand. 

AubreesMommy513
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM
:(
TrouserMouse
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Tornadoes appear and disappear within minutes.

Quoting laura_simss:

This is so sad...the only thing I am wondering is why people sent their children to school knowing there were tornados. I will admit I have lived in Colorado for pretty much my entire life and I have never once had to deal with a tornado so I am ignorant on the subject. Are schools supposed to be safe or something? Not trying to offend anyone just trying to understand. 

wife_and_mommy
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM

My heart is aching for these families. Prayers for them and the rescue workers who are trying their hardest to dig through and find survivors

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)