Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 Things I Judge Other Parents For

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 85 Replies

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

babyThis may come as a shock to you, but parents actually judge. I know, it's terrible. If you've ever set foot into the wild world of parenting blogs, or, um, been around a person with children, you know this is true. Is it right? Of course not! But it's just the way it is.

I try not be a judgy mom, really I do. But sometimes, things just happen. I'm not proud of it. But I am going to own it. Here are 6 things I judge other parents for.

1. You hit your kids. I know there are some people out there who still believe in spanking, but to me, it just seems wrong. Especially if the kid is little. That doesn't seem like a very fair match, or a great way to teach right from wrong.

2. You're extreeeeeme anything, and you try to instill your views on me. If breastfeeding your baby until he's 10 works for you, great. If crying it out is how you chose to get your kid to sleep through the night, awesome. But what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. One thing I don't do is tell other parents what techniques they should use on their children. I expect the same respect from others.

3. You leave a restaurant an absolute mess. Look. Most of us have worked in restaurants before. It sucks to have to clean up after kids. Do the staff a solid and pick up napkins and grab the food that's all over the floor and on the seats. (Or at least leave an awesome tip!)

4. You smoke in your baby's face. I've never been a smoker, so I don't know what it's like to be addicted. From what I hear, it's pretty hard to quit. But if you absolutely can't quit smoking before becoming a parent, at the very least, don't do it around your child. It's truly not fair to them.

5. You turn parenting into a competition. If I tell you my kid just crawled, no need to jump down my throat and quip: "My kid walked earlier!" As parents, we all think our kids are the greatest and cutest, etc. Just as I'm happy for others when they tell me about their kid's milestones, at least give me a nanosecond to brag!

6. You don't tell me your kid is sick, and you let our kids play! I think most parents know this one isn't cool. I mean, come on, people. A sick baby is no fun for anyone. Common courtesy.

Do you ever judge?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjsaes
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I judge parents by how their kids are dressed
BoxxyBabee
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
4 moms liked this
My 2yr old son wore pink girl pants today. Sue me!
Elainefaye
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't judge or anything,but what I do get frustrated is when parents see their child misbehaving and do NOTHING!!!

Mommyandliam
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this
This one bothers me. In the respect that I am seen as that parent! When Liam has a meltdown it is best to ignore it, attempting to coddle or discipline for his fit only makes it worse! It sucks that it happens in public sometimes but it does...and people look at me like I am a monster!!! But trust me, it's 5 minutes max like that or 20 with me trying to fix it?! I will sometimes (depending on how pitiful) reassure him that he's ok...I can not cuddle, hold, or even touch him though or it amps up and he'll begin hitting himself or me :-/

Never be so quick to judge...just saying

Quoting Elainefaye:

I don't judge or anything,but what I do get frustrated is when parents see their child misbehaving and do NOTHING!!!

Mommyandliam
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I think maybe only #1 is judging (I don't agree either) 2-6 are like peeves lol, I think smoking around anyone that doesn't smoke is rude, leaving a restaurant dirty (I
Mean they're not your mama!) and SICK KIDS?! Oh no they didn't!!! Lol those are all like common courtesies!

Quoting Cafe Robin:

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

babyThis may come as a shock to you, but parents actually judge. I know, it's terrible. If you've ever set foot into the wild world of parenting blogs, or, um, been around a person with children, you know this is true. Is it right? Of course not! But it's just the way it is.

I try not be a judgy mom, really I do. But sometimes, things just happen. I'm not proud of it. But I am going to own it. Here are 6 things I judge other parents for.

1. You hit your kids. I know there are some people out there who still believe in spanking, but to me, it just seems wrong. Especially if the kid is little. That doesn't seem like a very fair match, or a great way to teach right from wrong.

2. You're extreeeeeme anything, and you try to instill your views on me. If breastfeeding your baby until he's 10 works for you, great. If crying it out is how you chose to get your kid to sleep through the night, awesome. But what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. One thing I don't do is tell other parents what techniques they should use on their children. I expect the same respect from others.

3. You leave a restaurant an absolute mess. Look. Most of us have worked in restaurants before. It sucks to have to clean up after kids. Do the staff a solid and pick up napkins and grab the food that's all over the floor and on the seats. (Or at least leave an awesome tip!)

4. You smoke in your baby's face. I've never been a smoker, so I don't know what it's like to be addicted. From what I hear, it's pretty hard to quit. But if you absolutely can't quit smoking before becoming a parent, at the very least, don't do it around your child. It's truly not fair to them.

5. You turn parenting into a competition. If I tell you my kid just crawled, no need to jump down my throat and quip: "My kid walked earlier!" As parents, we all think our kids are the greatest and cutest, etc. Just as I'm happy for others when they tell me about their kid's milestones, at least give me a nanosecond to brag!

6. You don't tell me your kid is sick, and you let our kids play! I think most parents know this one isn't cool. I mean, come on, people. A sick baby is no fun for anyone. Common courtesy.

Do you ever judge?

Elainefaye
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I understand because my 4yr old has meltdowns,but I do get on my knees look into her eyes and tell her Alexis Nicole this is not the time or place to do this...I'm letting it be known its not okay.because in school it's not acceptable...

Quoting Mommyandliam:

This one bothers me. In the respect that I am seen as that parent! When Liam has a meltdown it is best to ignore it, attempting to coddle or discipline for his fit only makes it worse! It sucks that it happens in public sometimes but it does...and people look at me like I am a monster!!! But trust me, it's 5 minutes max like that or 20 with me trying to fix it?! I will sometimes (depending on how pitiful) reassure him that he's ok...I can not cuddle, hold, or even touch him though or it amps up and he'll begin hitting himself or me :-/

Quoting Elainefaye:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
#2 and #3 are my pet peeves too. I hate sitting at a table where the prior guests let their kids scribble all over or grind the crayons into flecks everywhere...then I sit and get it all over me. #2 ...extreme anything is obnoxious.
BoxxyBabee
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I leave messes at resturants. I dont work there. You get paid to clean, not me. Im keeping jobs for people. However last time we ate out, our server was great even after my son dumped his glass of milk on the floor and threw dhs drink accross the table, I gave her a huge tip.
Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM

i have to agree.. im not really a judging person i dont think  but yeah,  i dont spank &  i wouldnt say a word to a parent who did but i dont see it as good parenting.. also the sick kids playing.. yuck if its a cold.. meh not too bad id  warn a parent if he had  the sniffles but more than that ugh get away! i dont smoke either but id never  do it around my child if i ever did.

im not extreme anything really.. i mean sorta i homebirthed & i think thats the best way for me.. but  i never  judge others for chosing not to.. idc what others do its a personal process how you birth your baby.. im also a vegan & i dont even push it on my kids i  do expose them to both vegan & non vegan foods just so they are open to it & can  make their own decisions when they want to..

im babbling LOL

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't worry about peoples judgement's on how i handle my kids behavior in public anymore. You get onto them someones judging... you let it go in order to let them calm down... someones judging. I try not to judge either unless I see somewhat deliberately not paying attention to their kids in a store (I watched this lady stand at a checkout counter talking and her 3 year old got out the door and was playing out of her sight. I could see him since I was standing at the door. This happened twice. I brought him in the first time. I flipped on her the second time. Its a small parking lot open to a very busy road filled with regular semi's) or when they're knocking stuff off shelves running a muck and the parent is just totally oblivious. That preterbs me quite a bit.

Quoting Elainefaye:

I understand because my 4yr old has meltdowns,but I do get on my knees look into her eyes and tell her Alexis Nicole this is not the time or place to do this...I'm letting it be known its not okay.because in school it's not acceptable...

Quoting Mommyandliam:

Quoting Elainefaye:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)