Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you consider anything less than a Bachelors Degree a COLLEGE education?

Posted by   + Show Post

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
scperdomo
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Heather on May. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM
nothing.less than.an associates degree. I tell people ibhave some college as I have not finished my degree yet.
Action_Jaxon
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes... and just be happy if your kids go to college. a degree is the same whether you sit in class or do it online. many "brick snd mortor" colleges do online classes as part of the program. they're HARDER. Dont be so controlling over your ADULT kids lives.
colins_mom
by Heather on May. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
not at all schools. I.have taken all.of my "refesher courses" so to speak but i dont have enough credits to graduate. I am not even half way done yet.

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!
nazgor
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
personally, I have an associates and don't feel it's enough. I'm about a year away from my bachelors now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Belle*of*the*Bayou on May. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Nope. I took an 8 month course to become a Medical Assistant and it drove me insane when people constantly talked about being in college and graduating from college. I finished with 4.0 and definitely don't feel as if I'm a college graduate, nor do I go around talking about how I went to college. 

Meadowchik
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Sure, some degrees can be.  What's the beef? Just paying for college does not mean you get your money's worth. BTW there are plenty of technical fields that pay better and be more fulfilling.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
A certificate no but a AA degree yes your a college graduate. You went to a community college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChutterButter
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Love this response.I graduate with my associate degree next month. Going for my bachelor after that. Can't wait

Quoting Gabeys_Mommy:

People work their asses off for an Associates, so yes I think that "counts". It's better than doing nothing.
Mommy4000
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Any higher education is education. I don't expect my kids to spend their life in college if that's not where their heart is. I've always only asked of them, that they pursue some kind of higher education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN