Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you consider anything less than a Bachelors Degree a COLLEGE education?

Posted by   + Show Post

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
jeweldragons
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

An associate degree IS a degree.  A certificate is not a degree.  I don't see why that's so hard to comprehend.  You can be an RN with an AA or AS in nursing.  You NEED at least an AA or AS in Early Childhood Education to be an assistant teacher here-they will NOT hire you if you have a high school diploma.  You need a Bachelor in education (they prefer early childhood education or elementary education) to be a lead teacher in daycares and preschools around here.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on May. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
yes
healthykidsmom
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

As an employer there is a huge difference between someone with a certificate or associates and someone with a bachelors or masters.  All are accomplishments and should be celebrated but I would never consider someone with anything less than a bachelors a college grad. 

dbush0584
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Associates DEGREE?  I think anything relating to college is hard work and should be appreciated and recognized as such.  I think taking away what someone feels so proud of is pretty fucking disgusting of you.  College is college is college is college and its fucked up to tell someone what they've worked hard for is not good enough.  Fuck you and your thoughts about SOMEONE ELSES degree or certificate.  I have my BA BTW...working on my masters...started with my AA.  Worked VERY hard for ALL.

AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

An Associate's degree is still a college degree, right? So obviously a 2 year degree is a college education. Duh.

Miller0305
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpsmommie2011
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I'm working my butt off for my associates degree, and I definitely think it's a college education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpsmommie2011
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM
An associates degree is not just given with refresher courses.

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I got my Associate's Degree in Business online and yes, I do think it counts.  I didn't bust my ass for nothing.  Online is defiantely accelerated so what you(not you personally) would take in 6 weeks, I had to do in 3.  Why would you not support your kids if they chose and online education?

MmySteph2
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
This!! I am working on my associates now and I can guarantee you while a few yes are "refresher classes" the majority of my classes are not. I am working my ass off on it. So yes I do consider it a college education. I will have a degree when its said and done.

Quoting lilpsmommie2011:

An associates degree is not just given with refresher courses.

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN