Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you consider anything less than a Bachelors Degree a COLLEGE education?

Posted by   + Show Post

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
mamabubbs
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Do you not consider kids who graduate from an online high school to have a high school education? Just curious because you said you don't want your kids attending online college. Also, why do you not want them to attend college online?

Yes I consider associates degrees to be college educated. You graduated from college, not everyone has the time or the money to go for 4+ years. I will help my son pay for a four year college, but if for whatever reason he gets his associates degree and needs to begin working right away, I will support him.
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Well arent you just a wonderful momma.

Sike!!!!!!!!

Support your damn kids. If they wajt to go to school online then support them.

And an assoicates degree is just as much as a college degree as a bachelors.
petie1104
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Well, for some people that "training" ensures they can get a better job.  Let's put it this way, I would support my child in getting an Associate's or even a Technical Certificate, before I would support them in wasting 4 years for a degree that doesn't lead to a job, like, french literature or art history, which basically, would allow them to work the same jobs as a person with no degree unless they continue on for a Master's or higher.  Yet a person who goes to a Community College for nursing or cosmotology, can be working the day they get their degree. 

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Actually in order to get an assoicates degree you have to take a two uear course....and in every program you have to take basic courses like math english etc

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!

RunningMommaof2
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Yes, I do. But I think having a bachelors or higher has a lot more weight to it. I'm graduating with an AS next semester, but it's just a stop in the road. I know I have to continue on.
RunningMommaof2
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I had to take several courses focused on my major plus an internship to receive an AS.

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!

scperdomo
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
At a traditional 4 yr college, I didn't either when I finishes my pre-reqs. However, if you take only those at a community college, it gets you an Associate's.

Quoting colins_mom:

not at all schools. I.have taken all.of my "refesher courses" so to speak but i dont have enough credits to graduate. I am not even half way done yet.

Quoting scperdomo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Yup.

I have a really good friend who went to college for five plus years for engieering and guess what he is doing?

Working at a car dealer!!!!!!!!!

And he didnt go to some cheap community college, when he was in school he went to penn state, so one of the most expensive colleges. And he worked damn hard, and stuck at a car dealer.

Quoting petie1104:

Well, for some people that "training" ensures they can get a better job.  Let's put it this way, I would support my child in getting an Associate's or even a Technical Certificate, before I would support them in wasting 4 years for a degree that doesn't lead to a job, like, french literature or art history, which basically, would allow them to work the same jobs as a person with no degree unless they continue on for a Master's or higher.  Yet a person who goes to a Community College for nursing or cosmotology, can be working the day they get their degree. 

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I also think your a bunch of bs....

I have a friend who has spent the last four years in school to become a nurse and works a full time job.

The things I see she has to study and do......damn straight she is a college grad.
pregnantmama105
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
If you paid a shit load of money to further your education I think that person can call it what ever they want...

I went to college. But I dont have a bachelors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN