Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you consider anything less than a Bachelors Degree a COLLEGE education?

Posted by   + Show Post

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
illinoismommy83
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I think an associates degree is a college degree. It obviously is not a bachelors, but its something.

I'd support my kids doing gen ed at 1/3 the price at a community college before moving on to a 4-year program. 

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
So you believe that a registered nurse is not college educated?. I have a 2 year RN and took the same damn licensing exam that a 4 year would take.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

mjande4
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

No I don't.  It's a certification, which I admire, but it's not a full fledged degree in my eyes.

Osstie
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

If you graduate with an associates degree or anything higher, you have a college degree.

I don't think it says anything though. There are people that went to college that are dumb, dumb, DUMB. Just because you have a degree or are in college does not mean you are smart.

illinoismommy83
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Employers tend to favor the University of Yourstate or Northern/Eastern/etc Yourstate University over the University of AsSeenOnTV. I don't care if my children get their associates at a CC, but I won't pay a penny of them going to the University of Phoenix or any of that crap.

Quoting mamabubbs:

Do you not consider kids who graduate from an online high school to have a high school education? Just curious because you said you don't want your kids attending online college. Also, why do you not want them to attend college online?

Yes I consider associates degrees to be college educated. You graduated from college, not everyone has the time or the money to go for 4+ years. I will help my son pay for a four year college, but if for whatever reason he gets his associates degree and needs to begin working right away, I will support him.

penneylane
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

we dont get degrees from college we get those from university. i graduated from college and therefore have a college education.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM
An associate's degree is a college degree.
specialwingz
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM

If it came from a college, it's a college degree.  Period.

illinoismommy83
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

All degrees require general education hours. I actually got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago stating they were kicking me out of the business program if I didn't comlete my gen ed classes by Sept 2014, lol. Gen ed is so boring so I just keep avoiding it, but I need it if I want a bachelors degree. 2 year or 4 year, you gotta take a few semesters of English and a few math courses and a few science classes... I'm taking Biology over the summer at the CC because of this treatening letter I recieved :P Does biology relate to business in any way? Nope. Just something you gotta do.

Quoting scperdomo:

I don't really think an Associates is a "college education". From my understanding, you earn it just from taking your "refresher courses".

As far as trade schools, technical schools, etc, I do think those are. Some of that stuff is hard work!

Traci_Momof2
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I asked hubby because he's in HR so he knows how this is looked at from an employment perspective.  This was his opinion:

If it's a blue collar or hourly wage type job, then yes that would qualify as "college educated".

If it's a corporate or salary type job, then no, it's not "college educated" unless they have at least a bachelor's degree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)