Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What car seat should we use?? UPDATED W/PICS

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I posted this question in a car seat group and got some mixed reviews.. My 3 year old DD is in a Risser cast for Congenital Scoliosis... She is in this cast for 12 weeks at a time, off for one day, then a new cast applied for 12 weeks, and we don't know how long this will go on,  till her spine is straight enough for a brace (could be a year or 2).. Anyways the cast ( as you will see in the pics)  makes her very wide, and she does not fit in her car seat.. The straps on her seat are as loose as they will possibly go and are still too tight, and since she really has no exposed shoulder for her straps to rest on they just slip down onto her chest  She is in a 5 point harness booster seat now, because her convertable car seat WOULD NOT buckle around her with the cast on.. As she gets bigger the casts get bigger and it is getting harder and harder each time for us to buckle her in, and as you can see from this pic, if we ever did get in an accident she would just fly right out of her seat.... We have tried buckling her in a few other 5 point harness booster seats at stores but even though they say up to 100  pounds the straps still wont fit right on her and just fall down.. We are thinking of getting her a high back booster seat like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Dreamtime-Deluxe-Comfort-Booster-Car-Seat/22301299 but I am not sure if she is big enough yet.. It says 30 to 100 pounds.. Out of the cast she is about 35 pounds and in the cast she is 40... We are on a tight budget here so I cant buy the $300 car seats everyone says I should, but I need something that is comfortable for her, keeps her safe and is in our budget..  and please, dont even mention rear facing ANYTHING because its impossible for her to do in this cast. She cant sit on the floor cross legged or even squat down because her cast goes to her hips and digs into her legs a lot when she is sitting.. Also when she is even leaning back the slightest bit (like she is in this car seat) she can not move at all to even grab something that is in her own car seat, and beign stuck in one position is VERY uncomfortable for her and makes her car sick =(

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com

by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RADmomma
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I fully understand caraway safety but you're kinda stuck between a rock & a hard place...

So you're going to have to choose the lesser of the evils. If she fits in the booster in the link & can be strapped in better than her current seat I would go with that. It's not ideal but she is safer than the seat in the photo.

Her cast will keep her from slouching if she falls asleep so I personally would go with the booster.

I hope you find something that works & doesn't break the bank!! Hope she's out of her casts sooner rather than later!!
RADmomma
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Carseat** not caraway
RADmomma
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Is there a 5 pt harness with higher straps??
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I have to agree with RADmomma.  Her Cosco seat does her no good if she can't be strapped in properly.  I would opt for the booster.  Otherwise, if you haven't already, take her to walmart and sit her in the floor models of the different seats to see what she can fit in.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM

You need to go on Carseat.org and ask for help someone should be able to help you figure out a safer alternative.  I would definately not put her in her current seat she is not safe at all!  Maybe try a Nautilous or a Defender 360 at walmart and see if they are tall enough to help her out.  Right now that carseat she is in I believe only goes to 40lbs which is why those straps are not big enough to fit her.  

Marz31
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Well, the straps aren't staying up because they're not high enough. so many seats have straps built for kids with short torsos. Obviously your daughter, in her cast, does not. 

You've got a couple of options. There's the Nautilus, around $150-180 depending on the pattern you get, it converts to a seatbelt booster after she reaches the top of the harness. but what I'd suggest, since you need it for at least half a year and maybe longer, I'd go with the Britax Frontier, the 85. The top harness height is 20 inches (the new 90 is/will be 20.5 when it comes out, but it's also above your pricerange and overpriced if you ask me). but the 85 is just over $200 on amazon depending on the day you buy it (I swear it changes almost daily).  Oh and what I just found out the other day, after looking at a seat that I thought was outrageously affordable for a high harness height (it's a convertible, I really wouldn't recommend it) is that the sample seats do NOT have the same harness straps as the seat you'll buy, as in they tend to be shorter, sometimes by a LOT! Do you have any friends with the seats I've mentioned? that might be a better way to see if your daughter fits. 

Hope that helps! She's just absolutely adorable, btw! 

RADmomma
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
We have the nautilus. I don't know that it would be wide enough around the upper ribs & shoulders. But it's a great seat. We love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)