Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wives vs. Girlfriends

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 30 Replies

I have a question.... just curious...

In your opinion, are their any different qualities, traits, characteristics etc. that divide a wife from a girlfriend?

If so, please describe....

** Some women get asked to get married multiple times... and some women NEVER. What makes a woman "WIFE MATERIAL"?

by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I have no idea, since I've never had either :) I've been both, and clearly I'm 'wife' material, at least for my husband. I think it depends on the man more than the woman, what he wants in a wife, what he is looking for in his wife and the mother of his children, or if he doesn't want any children. 

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I think it just depends on the couple. As far as a difference between girlfriend and wife... yes. There is IMO. A girlfriend isn't legally tied to her duties and it's less expectations of each other. When you hit being a wife there comes expectations and responsibility like...... extra laundry, cooking for more than just yourself everyday, you will never be able to just kiss goodnight and go back home when you feel like it, your stuck with the fighting and the abuse and cannot just walk away no strings attached. Stuff that becomes an 'I want to or don't' becomes something else entirely. I used to think this way with my ex. Good thing i didn't marry him and glad my dh crossed my path. It makes the wife expectations something I enjoy.
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I think marriage isn't for everyone and lots of people get marry for the show. Wedding,reception,honeymoon but after a year they are fighting like cats and dogs. I'm wife material I choose not to get married,its not something I need. I'm happy in my relationship just the same or maybe more than a maaried couple
kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

A wife takes that step to commitment. A wife vows a lifelong commitment. 

kidlover2
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I've been both and I am happier and more committed as a "girlfriend" then as a wife. Commitment is a heart issue, never a legal issue. I will eventually get married for my girls financial security, not because it changes how I feel or how we treat one another.
mommyshere
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I think a wife is generally more respected and doesn't chase after the man as much.  Of course, everyone starts as a girlfriend but that's what I see as the difference btwn the girlfriend becoming a wife or not.

massenberg
by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I consider my self a good women for marriage. but im not ready for the committment and thats what the wife does she committs herself to her husband and all the marriage vowls.The gf is pretty much do has you please when you please you dont owe me andi dont oweyou nothing except respect.I like the fact that when i get tired i can go home and he can do the same,sometimes you just want piece of mind and time to youself and wen ur committed you cant do that. It will always be the two of you or you him and the kids.

ohyouknow
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been asked multiple times, but I've never been married. I don't plan on getting married although I am in a very committed relationship and plan on staying there forever!

NDADanceMom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Well if i were a man a gf would be hot and fun but not responsible enough to be trusted with my money and kids.
mysticatgal
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I think this is a guy question. I know some people never need that sheet of paper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)