Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I have a question.... just curious...

In your opinion, are their any different qualities, traits, characteristics etc. that divide a wife from a girlfriend?

If so, please describe....

** Some women get asked to get married multiple times... and some women NEVER. What makes a woman "WIFE MATERIAL"?

by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
SnapIt
by Movin' on up on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You can be just as commited and even for a lifetime as a GF, just like a wife can. No different
Who says you love a person more because youre married?
You can do the same things for him as a GF, just like a wife can.

The only difference is a paper you sign and its more expensive to leave as a wife, then it is as a GF who can just walk away. Most of the money goes towards a divorce.
A wife may get alimony and a GF may not, but either way you should be able to take care of yourself and not depend on anyone's money anyways, a GF is more independent than a wife.
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
What is your response to gay couples?

Quoting kansasmom1978:

If your willing to have a life long commitment than there is no reason to NOT be married.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

You don't have to be married to have a life long comittiment.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

A wife takes that step to commitment. A wife vows a lifelong commitment. 

kansasmom1978
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not? You dont have to marry for money. I know plenty of single women who have successful careers.

Quoting kidlover2:

Other than financial... Why?

Quoting kansasmom1978:

If your willing to have a life long commitment than there is no reason to NOT be married.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

kansasmom1978
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

To each their own. I dont approve of gay marriage. But it does not affect me. I wont stand in the way of it. 

Quoting SweetPea2004:

What is your response to gay couples?

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hmmm....DH and I dated for three years before marriage.  Neither of us would have continued dating for that long if we weren't marriage material for each other.  In fact, he's the first guy I dated for longer than a month.  Soooo...a girlfriend could be testing the waters to see if they are compatible.  

I would say I was "wife material" for my husband because we had similar morals, similar life goals, and chemistry.  We were friends for a year before dating and he had just fallen for me.  I don't think there was any one thing.  I was head over heals when he kissed me.  Oh my!  

Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

im a wife, and i was his gf  before obviously.. idk.. ive been with him a long time now so idk if its just time or that were parents now but i feel a stronger connection of family with him now.. i love that he is my husband.   for me i guess it just means  we vowed to stay together as a family &  a gf is someone that you date? idk really..

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
That all depends.

Me and mt husband been marries a year and we dont fight all the time.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

I think marriage isn't for everyone and lots of people get marry for the show. Wedding,reception,honeymoon but after a year they are fighting like cats and dogs. I'm wife material I choose not to get married,its not something I need. I'm happy in my relationship just the same or maybe more than a maaried couple

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
But we also have the typical husband/wife fights.

I guess what makes us different is we actually know when to walk away from each other and when enough is enough. And have been best friends since hs.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

I think marriage isn't for everyone and lots of people get marry for the show. Wedding,reception,honeymoon but after a year they are fighting like cats and dogs. I'm wife material I choose not to get married,its not something I need. I'm happy in my relationship just the same or maybe more than a maaried couple

loriec
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

What about the  side piece(The other woman) ,Jumpoff( a girl used strictly for sex, nothing else.) Mistress ?e.t.c

how do women fall in these categories and why do men put them in these places. The girl friend who will never be a wive. Or the Woman who finds out he isn't claiming her as his girl friend. She's just a side piece or a jumpoff. 

We need to ask men these kind of questions....why do they choose certain women to be the wive and others never to marry.

ShesAllWrite
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

If a woman wants to be married, she's wife material. If she only dates men who don't want to be, or can't be married, it won't matter, she'll never get asked. I found when I was dating party boys, the only marriage proposals I got were lust-fueled and only half-serious at best.

When I started dating stable, healthy, good men, things changed, and I received several serious proposals. I didn't say yes to the first one--I decided in my 20s that if I was going to marry again, I would only marry someone who was right for me, so I waited for my pitch and swung when it came.

I'm happily married now to someone who is everything I ever wanted in a spouse and step-father for my son. 

I think if a woman has dated several men and none have asked her to marry them, she should look at/change the kind of men she's dating rather than assume she's deficient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)