Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members - good idea?

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 56 Replies

Today, the Boy Scouts of America, decided to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

Do you think it's about time or a bad idea? 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's about time!

Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

about time

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I think it is about time.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Dont matter to me but I will say that they are allowing SCOUTS who are OPENLY gay in, Adults who are openely gay are not allowed. That's some shit.

tifferie
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Still not letting my son join.

Quoting momdoes:

Dont matter to me but I will say that they are allowing SCOUTS who are OPENLY gay in, Adults who are openely gay are not allowed. That's some shit.

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't either!

Quoting tifferie:

Exactly. Still not letting my son join.

Quoting momdoes:

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I guess it's a step in the right direction but they have a long way to go still.

One of the Scout leaders and leader of the group against this change was quoted saying:

“It is with great sadness and deep disappointment that we recognize on this day that the most influential youth program in America has turned a tragic corner,” Stemberger stated in a press release. “The vote today to allow open and avowed homosexuality into Scouting will completely transform it into an unprincipled and risky proposition for parents. It is truly a sad day for Scouting.”

They have a long way to go!

Quoting momdoes:

emeraldangel20
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM

idc. i'm still not letting a son, if i have one, join. just because they're allowed doesn't mean they won't be mistreated, ridiculed, and bullied out of the scouts.

what's disgusting is some idiots on my local news site are going around saying "well child molestation numbers are going to go up now"

motherfuckers please. a child is much more likely to be molested by someone in their family than to be molested by a gay person

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on May. 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Many troops are ending because of this. I wonder how long they will continue.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Not long Im afraid. The Scouts is a very strong moral organization, as misguided as it might be. On one hand I am sad for their eyes not being open but on the other I feel they were bullied into changing their beliefs. Either way, its sad. My dh is an Eagle Scout and both our boys were in at one time or another. Its a great place for boys to be.

Quoting RheaF:

Many troops are ending because of this. I wonder how long they will continue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN