Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members - good idea?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today, the Boy Scouts of America, decided to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

Do you think it's about time or a bad idea? 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on May. 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
They were forced into changing their views and many troop leaders do not agree. I do not agree with how this change was made.

Quoting momdoes:

Not long Im afraid. The Scouts is a very strong moral organization, as misguided as it might be. On one hand I am sad for their eyes not being open but on the other I feel they were bullied into changing their beliefs. Either way, its sad. My dh is an Eagle Scout and both our boys were in at one time or another. Its a great place for boys to be.

Quoting RheaF:

Many troops are ending because of this. I wonder how long they will continue.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Not everything must be politically correct in this world.

Quoting RheaF:

They were forced into changing their views and many troop leaders do not agree. I do not agree with how this change was made.

Quoting momdoes:

Not long Im afraid. The Scouts is a very strong moral organization, as misguided as it might be. On one hand I am sad for their eyes not being open but on the other I feel they were bullied into changing their beliefs. Either way, its sad. My dh is an Eagle Scout and both our boys were in at one time or another. Its a great place for boys to be.

Quoting RheaF:

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a horrible idea. They were bullied into changing their policy. 

L202M
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's insulting to say that an openly gay kid can join but an openly gay man cannot be a scout master.  They are insinuating that gay men are automatically pedophiles too.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual devience.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If the Scouts really have strong morals, it seems that they'd be moving in the right direction of accepting others.

Not sure what being gay has to do with not being moral??

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting RheaF:

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Descrimination based on sexual orientation shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.  I  hope the troops leaders who don't agree with accepting gays evolve soon. 

This is what happened duiring civil rights and when women fought for the right to vote and be treated equally. 

It just takes time for some people to realize that they're wrong.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting RheaF:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you.

Quoting momdoes:

Dont matter to me but I will say that they are allowing SCOUTS who are OPENLY gay in, Adults who are openely gay are not allowed. That's some shit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The church definitely works hard at brainwashing people but you should think for yourself.  It's unfortuante the the church (and religion in general) often clouds people's thought processes. Keep in mind that whatever the chuirch tells you to believe now will be different in years to come.  It wasn't that long ago that people could get killed for saying that they thought the world was round!

It's obvious that excluding good people from an organization is wrong.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual devience.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
This. And seriously... How many men, gay or not (pedos) are already leaders?

Quoting L202M:

I think it's insulting to say that an openly gay kid can join but an openly gay man cannot be a scout master.  They are insinuating that gay men are automatically pedophiles too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)