Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members - good idea?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today, the Boy Scouts of America, decided to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

Do you think it's about time or a bad idea? 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
RobinBright
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with MY Catholic beliefs: love thy neighbor, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 

I f you don't believe that sin should be allowed in Scouting, then the entire organization must be shut down as NO boy or leader is without immorality. 

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual devience.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't believe it's 2013 and this shit is still an Issue. banging head into wall

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Another way I see it.  The boys who are openly gay. They might get picked on big time by the straight boys for who they are. Same goes for gay leadership.  If your gay. Fine.I don't care.  But don't push it in my face. Saying I have to accept the lifestyle. Or I'm some evil horrid person.  What one does in the privacy of their own home is their own business. I don't hate anyone who thinks gay is ok. You start being open about your sexual preference.  Expect people to not be so nice with their oppinions.  Not everyone out there is accepting of the gay lifestyle.  Hate the sin and not the sinner.  

Nena70
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Its about time!!!

SimilarImagery
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM
The removal of the ban ia great. Id want my child to know that people can love regardless of gender. Though I don't want any form of sexuality around my young child, gay or straight. Lol. Its dumb to think that there would be more molestation. Why would someone who's openly gay do that to a child? Obviously the fingers would be pointed at them. That's common sense. I highly doubt any form of sexual molester would just admit that if they're in an all boys group. You're more likely to get away with it if nobody knows. But the same concept should apply to male leaders for girls. Saying gay men shouldn't be allowed to lead or teach boys is like saying women as a whole shouldn't be able to, and that's ridiculous. There's no set sexuality that really molests children. Yes, males do it more. But id look at the male group as a whole.
SimilarImagery
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM
And there's this classic argument: You're not supposed to have sex period unless you're trying to have a baby. The whole 'its a sin' argument is really getting old, because it's not a valid argument. Sexuality shouldn't be taught, no. But love between anyone, no matter of gender, isn't a sin. No where in the bible does it say a man cannot love another man, or a woman cannot love another woman. It says they can't have sex.
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

About time. They need to lift the ban on gay scout leaders as well.

However, still have no interest in having my boy join.

cox3
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Its horrible
Rampgirl04
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Now before I get some of you going bonkers on me and bashing me for what I'm about to say, first of all I think every child should have the right to join clubs and groups no matter what but I think this whole pushing for Gay rights on everything is going too far. If they want to let them join fine because indeed these are just children were talking about and it's not right to ban a child because of their choices however, the parents of straight kids have every right to voice their displeasure cause I wouldn't be too happy about that either and they shouldn't be shunned for their displeasure either. And if troops shut down that needs to be respected by showing that one respects their wishes as well because again I think all this Gay BS is going way to far. It seems like these entitlement groups continue to want MORE AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE. It doesn't stop and not everybody is going to agree with that.

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Is about freaking time. They still have a long ways to go, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)