Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members - good idea?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today, the Boy Scouts of America, decided to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

Do you think it's about time or a bad idea? 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (41-50):
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This in red is the only change..

Boyscouts have never stopped Gay members from participating. What they didn't allow was for that to be publically broadcast. 

And I see nothing wrong with that. 

I am sorry. Boyscouts was not about sex.. was not about sexual orientation. Boyscouts was about camping, earning badges and learning lessons about life.

It really has no reason to have "sexuality" thrust upon it.

Quoting jomami:

Today, the Boy Scouts of America, decided to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Exactly...openly gay priests are common.....

Quoting Bookoholic:

I LOL at her, because there is an openly gay person in the catholic community. If the pope is going to let a priest be openly gay why can't she finally just accept it already?

Quoting first-one:

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual devience.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

Omg, what century are you living in???  Who died and made you god?  Fairly certainly I've heard he's the only one who can judge....

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Lets get 2 things strait here..

1)The first thing is Christianity is not synonymous with the Catholic Church. Those things which the Catholic Church is Guilty of... IS their guilt! Not the guilt of the bible. People as a whole can twist anything.. Shit there is a couple of well known professions where we pay people to do that crap.. POLITICIANS AND LAWYERS are just 2 examples. So if your so intelligent and open minded as your claiming.. please do your research. And make the distinction between the two.

2)Second Politicians and in general Educational universities.. Have been quoted a lot as having told people that they will teach certain things to alter a persons beliefs just so they can bring the person around to their own personal beliefs.. So don't get all high and mighty about this whole brainwashing garbage.. Both sides have skeletons in their closet in regards to this.. so don't go falling off your high horse.

BTW.. MS. Jomami.. Before you start discussing intelligance and thinking.. You might wanna check your spelling.. Just saying.. The ones in RED.. ARE SPELLED WRONG!

Quoting jomami:

The church definitely works hard at brainwashing people but you should think for yourself.  It's unfortuante the the church (and religion in general) often clouds people's thought processes. Keep in mind that whatever the chuirch tells you to believe now will be different in years to come.  It wasn't that long ago that people could get killed for saying that they thought the world was round!

It's obvious that excluding good people from an organization is wrong.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual deviance.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

Click the siggy to visit my blog!

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Next time I'll use the spell check!;) lol

No need to get nasty and insult me just because you disagree.

I never mentioned the Catholic church - I said the church and religion in general.

I'm sorry if what I said offended you but I feel it's all true and so do many others.

It's ok if you want to see things differently but no need to get nasty about it!

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Lets get 2 things strait here..

1)The first thing is Christianity is not synonymous with the Catholic Church. Those things which the Catholic Church is Guilty of... IS their guilt! Not the guilt of the bible. People as a whole can twist anything.. Shit there is a couple of well known professions where we pay people to do that crap.. POLITICIANS AND LAWYERS are just 2 examples. So if your so intelligent and open minded as your claiming.. please do your research. And make the distinction between the two.

2)Second Politicians and in general Educational universities.. Have been quoted a lot as having told people that they will teach certain things to alter a persons beliefs just so they can bring the person around to their own personal beliefs.. So don't get all high and mighty about this whole brainwashing garbage.. Both sides have skeletons in their closet in regards to this.. so don't go falling off your high horse.

BTW.. MS. Jomami.. Before you start discussing intelligance and thinking.. You might wanna check your spelling.. Just saying.. The ones in RED.. ARE SPELLED WRONG!

Quoting jomami:

The church definitely works hard at brainwashing people but you should think for yourself.  It's unfortuante the the church (and religion in general) often clouds people's thought processes. Keep in mind that whatever the chuirch tells you to believe now will be different in years to come.  It wasn't that long ago that people could get killed for saying that they thought the world was round!

It's obvious that excluding good people from an organization is wrong.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think it's a bad idea.  Why should we support what is a sexual deviance.  Gay is wrong.  I don't care what you non Christians think.  I don't hate gays.  It's one thing to say your gay. But it becomes a sin when you act out on being gay.   Being gay is an abomination.  I lost respect for the Girl Scouts when they started accepting openly gay leaders.  Now I may loose my respect for the Boy Scouts also.  Bash me all you want.  I don't care.  I am not afraid to stand up for what goes with my Christian. Catholic by denomination beliefs.   I'm glad they still are not allowing openly gay leaders. 

PEEK05
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I didn't care one way or another.

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

There is no reason to make boys hide in the closet because of who they are!  Many scouts were denied badges that they worked hard for after the organization discovered that they were gay.  That's terrible! All people should be treated equally and boys should be able to participate int he scouts regardless of their sexual orientation. Excluding anyone just because of their sexual orientation is sinful!

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

This in red is the only change..

Boyscouts have never stopped Gay members from participating. What they didn't allow was for that to be publically broadcast. 

And I see nothing wrong with that. 

I am sorry. Boyscouts was not about sex.. was not about sexual orientation. Boyscouts was about camping, earning badges and learning lessons about life.

It really has no reason to have "sexuality" thrust upon it.

Quoting jomami:

texassahm
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I'm 44yrs old and grew up, and still live in, central Texas.  Never once in my life did I ever think being gay was a choice.  

These troop leaders I hear who are quitting because of the new rule, to them, I say BUH-BYE!  If you are so uptight you quit something because all people are allowed to be themselves while participating, then I don't want you leading the boys in my neighborhood.

tennisgal
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I'm refraining from giving my opinion, but I'm also curious how many children know/think they are gay?? How often have the groups encountered it and why would the den leaders even know about it??

Diana_B.
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I can't understand why a happy medium couldn't be made. Allowing gays but not having to change the entire dynamic of an organization just to make some happy because now we're also sacrificing others wishes, thoughts, etc. I don't think they should have to change what the organization came from but I also don't see why they couldn't allow troops with gays that like an all gay group for the comfort of everyone. I'm sure children who are gay would love to be around other kids they have that in common with and also heterosexuals from having to be around that if it isn't a similar lifestyle view they want for their troop. It wouldn't be discrimination either because I have Autistic children and we have some troops here in Las Vegas that are exclusively for Autistics and their siblings. I don't have a problem with it and actually prefer it this way.
sparrow2013
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has been in scouting for five years now. I believe I have an obligation to inform those of you who are not involved in scouting. Although it is unfortunate, and grotesque, that the organization has discriminated against homosexuality in these so called "enlightened" times, most members do not agree with this. In my time involved with scouting I have not run across one member or leader, religious or not, who feels this way. I have, unfortunately, run across many individuals who discriminate against my scouts for being involoved in the organization. It is up to parents to educate their children on the rights and wrongs of morality. I believe that Boy Scouting offers many important and useful life lessons to my son including 'we all make poor decisions in life'.  The leaders of old are not going to be our leaders forever. If we do not keep our sons involved in this organization we are allowing an irreplacable part of our society to dissolve. Instead of keeping your sons out of scouting educate them on acceptance and choose a den or troop with morals that you agree with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)