Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

little red, rough patches?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 19 Replies
I noticed about a month ago that DS (5 months old) had a little red, rough patch on his thigh. Like it was dry skin or something. A couple weeks later it went away. Now he has one on his chest, his arm, and his back. What is this? I bathe him every night before bed and lotion him up, then put lotion on him in the morning too.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ELFs_Mommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Sounds like eczema. Try cutting back to bathing every other night with mild, I scented soap, and use only in scented lotion. Also, it might be a reaction to your laundry detergent or softener.
JordanCsMommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Okay I will try that. Thank you.

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

Sounds like eczema. Try cutting back to bathing every other night with mild, I scented soap, and use only in scented lotion. Also, it might be a reaction to your laundry detergent or softener.

ELFs_Mommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Just reread this... Those should say unscented.

Quoting JordanCsMommy:

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

JordanCsMommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Lol yeah that's what I figured. Is there anything else I can put on it if it doesn't go away?

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

Quoting JordanCsMommy:

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

ELFs_Mommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Neosporin has a new eczema line that I highly recommend (I've suffered from eczema for years and have tried just about everything available OTC and by prescription). Also, soaps and detergents for sensitive skin are a good idea. If it is eczema, it could be a reaction to something environmental (soap, detergent, etc.), or it could be a reaction to a food allergy. Good luck.

Quoting JordanCsMommy:

Lol yeah that's what I figured. Is there anything else I can put on it if it doesn't go away?

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

Quoting JordanCsMommy:

Quoting ELFs_Mommy:

megz0511
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
My lo had this too. It comes and goes. My ped said its hereditary, probably from your dad. My dad had terrible skin so it made sence for us. It will go away when he's 2 or 3, probably show back up around puberty. There is some kind of prescription lotion you can use but the ped said it might burn. Its basically cosmetic so we're not worried right now.
Aydnsmommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I just went through something similar with dd. At first, the dr though it was an allergic reaction. Now she is diagnosed with Eczema. We had to change her soap and lotion to Aveeno (the adult, unscented is better than the baby stuff, but be careful not to go above the shoulders) And shampoo to the baby Aveeno. We changed laundry detergent to All Free and Clear. Make sure he has sunscreen on when outside. Sunlight can exaggerate the effects. You have to moisturize every day. Keep baths to less than ten minutes. She was perscribed a seroid cream, but itcannot be used all the time. You can try some over the counter hydrocortizone cream called Cortizone 10 Eczema. It works wonders!!!

LDavis33
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I use aveeno soap and eczema care lotion and for my DD.  Try to cut back the baths to every two or three days (just sponge bath on the other days) and use only lukewarm water.   I also add a few drops of coconut oil to the bathwater (after I wash her hair and face) and it seems to help.

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Eczema, and it is very common. First thing : do not bathe every night. Lotion up, yes... But not a bath every night. No scented laundry detergent and try Aveeno eczema lotion... No scented lotions or wipes.

It flares up for no reason sometimes, it flares when their immune system is fighting something else.

You will find in the summer time, the more they are outside the less flare ups. Winter is much worse. The doc with tell you he'll outgrow it, don't believe him. My 13 and 2 yr old have it. There are steroidal creams available for way bad spots,

However, it's funny.... It is SO common that my son and other kids will compare thier eczema " designs" on their arms about two months into school, when thier skin has not been exposed to the sun near as much.

No more than three baths a week and a fourth with an oatmeal treatment. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, keep his skin away from anything scented ( your clothes, too)
The spots rarely itch and MAYBE he'll outgrow it, but don't count on it ( however the flare up with be more white and scaley than red and raised. Good luck, nothing serious, just fewer baths, sun exposure ( with sunscreen ) as much as possible and use the heck out of that Aveeno lotion.
chickieboom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I have severe eczema, which is what this sounds like to me (not the "severe" part of that statement). I've tried everything. My dermatologist told me the most important thing for me is to moisturize immediately after bathing, without drying off first. He suggested a lotion brand called VaniCream that's free of EVERYTHING. I get it at Walgreen's. When I have really bad episodes I have to use some prescription ointments but some people have had good results just using OTC hydrocortisone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)