Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is so funny?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 3 year old is driving me mad.  Everytime I discipline him he laughs at me. 

What is even more frustrating is that a lot of the time he ends up making me laugh.  I try so hard not to, but his laughter is just too contagious.

Any suggestions?  

by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM

which discipline are you using with him?  You may need to walk away when your composure is about to crumble.  What types of things are you disciplining for?

punchnpie
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Lol I use to be just like that. I was a silly kid.
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM

He has a naughty spot, I also take toys and privileges away.  

I discipline him for things like screaming, talking back, ignoring me, or throwing things.  

I do try to walk away and ignore him but he won't stay in his naughty spot so I have to sit him down there numerous times.

Quoting frndlyfn:

which discipline are you using with him?  You may need to walk away when your composure is about to crumble.  What types of things are you disciplining for?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Oh the fun of redirecting to naughty spot.  Consistency is key and you already know that.   This age (i think) is known for wanting to make people laugh.   Have you tried telling him it hurts your heart when he does not follow the rules -using a sad face?  The talking back  I would try ignoring as if he did not speak at all.  Screaming would be naughty spot worthy after one warning to speak in a calm tone towards me.  Throwing things would mean the loss of that item for 2 days.

Quoting LDavis33:

I discipline him for things like screaming, talking back, ignoring me, or throwing things.  

I do try to walk away and ignore him but he won't stay in his naughty spot so I have to sit him down there numerous times.

Quoting frndlyfn:

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I know that I have been somewhat inconsistent since our DD was born, but she's 8 months old now and I have to start laying down the law again.  

I think ignoring him may work, I'll have to give that a try for the talking back, I may also try it for the screaming.  My DH and I did that to our 13 year old nephew a few years back.  He would only ever speak in a whiny tone, and after repeated warnings to speak in a normal tone, we finally decided to ignore the whining.  It didn't take him too long to figure out that until he stopped his whining he wasn't getting any response from us.  I thought he might be too young for that, but it's worth a try.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Oh the fun of redirecting to naughty spot.  Consistency is key and you already know that.   This age (i think) is known for wanting to make people laugh.   Have you tried telling him it hurts your heart when he does not follow the rules -using a sad face?  The talking back  I would try ignoring as if he did not speak at all.  Screaming would be naughty spot worthy after one warning to speak in a calm tone towards me.  Throwing things would mean the loss of that item for 2 days.

Quoting LDavis33:

Quoting frndlyfn:

me-n-mygirls
by Shontell on May. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I have 2 that team up and do the same thing.

The gardest thing is not laughing too...it is kinda funny due to their expression.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Mine did the same thing.  He is lookign for a reaction out of you.  Act like it doesn't bother you and eventually he will stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN