Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is a 16 month olds speech development like?

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 23 Replies
Or what is expected at this age? I know my Son is speech delayed and has a speech therapist but I'm curious how delayed we're talking. He really only says dada but has "conversational babble" all day long.
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
By 16 months he should be giving you at least dada and mama plus 5 to 10 additional words. At least according to the books I read
texassahm
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Has he been tested by the public school system?  If so, what do they say?  He might qualify for a school program at the age of two (that's the age here in Texas where special programs begin)

Motherof_one
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I'm in the same boat my daughter is 17 months and says mama, dada all the time but hi, yea ,no maybe every week and up, and baby only when she wants to lol. I'm starting to freak out. But here's a bump for you
Diana_B.
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Thanks.

Quoting Motherof_one:

I'm in the same boat my daughter is 17 months and says mama, dada all the time but hi, yea ,no maybe every week and up, and baby only when she wants to lol. I'm starting to freak out. But here's a bump for you

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Hasn't the therapist told you how delayed he is?   DD when in kindergarten was evaluated at about 4 yrs old for speech.  Now at end of 1st grade she is pretty much caught up except for the hard "s" sound which a few 1st graders still struggle with.

Mamamanic
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM

It is 2.9 in our area. They can test before, but will not start until 2.9

Quoting texassahm:

Has he been tested by the public school system?  If so, what do they say?  He might qualify for a school program at the age of two (that's the age here in Texas where special programs begin)

Mamamanic
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

If he is attempting to speak that is a good sign. I was worried about dd and found out she was practicing in private when she thought no one could hear her. This really works well. Say the word with your lips on their hand. They also feel how the word should feel when they speak it. Works great when older and they are saying words with wrong sounds.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My little guy says mama, daddy, sissy, bubba, yes, no, hello, goodbye, stop, cup, food, water, ouch, boo, doggie, horse, chicken, cow.... I know there is more but I can't remember what lol. I think at 16 months I wouldn't worry too much. Kids develop at different rates. 

sweeteysmc
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always heard boys develope in speech later than girls they start walking and climbing earlier. If he is using babble conversation I would think that means he gets whats going on.  Make sure he feels the need to talk. I have seen alot of babies that talk later because they dont feel the need to say anything. Babies are highly want driven so the best time to work on it is when he wants something. Other than that patients and practice make sure your always talking it may feel stupid but if your in the kitchen just explain what your doing out loud so he can hear you and so on.

Peaceful.chaos
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My DD didn't talk until she was 3. I was very worried at the time but she's very bright and ahead of peers in most areas now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN